Need some quick mini measurements

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
Mini Build HELP- need some quick advice

I've read through a lot of the threads over the past few months, however, it's hard to make sense of all the varying builds. I'm going to smoke a butt tomorrow and would like to throw together a mini real quickly to use it. I can always use my 22.5, but after reading everyone's set and forget these things, it would help me get a lot of other things done if I don't have to babysit it as much.

-I have the 32qt pot from Target. It's not a perfect fit on top. I really hate to crimp it as other have done but I really don't have the luxury of time- people start coming in for T day tomorrow, so I need to get it on early.
- I have a new Joe assembled
-I only have the charcoal grate and the cooking grate. I'm only doing one butt, anyway and can add a 2nd grate later.
-I have the stainless bolts to position the cooking grate. This is probably my biggest question. Do most of you have two grates in your mini build? How far down from the top should I put the first one? Will this make the bottom one too low?
-I know some of you cut the entire inside diameter bottom out. Others just drill holes. I'm lost!
-What about the clay pot. I forgot to look for one at Lowes. Can I use something else? Two fire bricks with a disposable pie pan?

Anything else I'm missing? I know this is one of those "it's been covered, read and learn for yourself" but I really don't want to wade back through the hundreds of posts, only to not have this thing ready for tomorrow morning. It's not life or death, but I'd just like to try it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Although I've got the materials, I've yet to start my build but I can share what I suspect to be somewhat of a general consensus. Most minis have 2 grates, though I recall seeing a few with 3. For those that have 2, try putting the bottom grate about 4" to 5" down from the top of the pot. You can eventually add the second grate about 1" from the top later for appetizers, etc. This way, you'd have clearance for a butt underneath in future cooks. The other option would be to have the bottom-most cooking grate rest on or just above the indent of the steamer pot then the top grate about halfway up the pot, but a cooking grate this low is a bit too low for my liking and I can't imagine using it that often.

I'm planning on cutting out the bottom of my pot with a jigsaw, then fabricating a charcoal ring but given the time crunch, drilling holes would probably work. You can always cut it out later as that's mostly done when one wants higher heat cooks. For a diffuser, you'll get all sorts of answers. Some use a non-glazed clay saucer. Others just use the steamer insert placed on the ridge of the pot or a disposable pie pan or a foiled cake pan. Personally, I plan on trying a stainless steel cake pan with water in it initially, then making changes from there, but it's really just a personal preference based on trial and error.

Also, you want to add a dial thermometer, like a Tel Tru or River Country about 1" below the cooking grate. And if you have a Maverick, you may want a side port to run the probes through. I've used the threaded rod method (using lamp hardware, lock nuts and a washer) for 2 cookers so far, and that works well. Good luck on your butt and have a nice Thanksgiving.

Great info, M Westin, I just drilled some holes for now. I mounted my grate down about 3.5" below the top lip. I can modify the charcoal grate later. But that upper rim not fitting the Joe lid is frustrating. I started a couple crimps but didn't like how it was going. I don't have all my tools here and the channels locks were hitting the side of the pot making small dents. Hmmm, I got scared to try my butt on it tomorrow. We have a lot of people coming in, so I don't want to goof it up and I wouldn't have time to defrost another one. So, I've got the kettle ready with the snake for in the morning. I was going to try a fatty on it in the morning but I'll just wait until I can grind/cut/trim the lip to lid right. I'll dig around again and see what I can find.

I've read through a lot of the threads over the past few months, however, it's hard to make sense of all the varying builds. I'm going to smoke a butt tomorrow and would like to throw together a mini real quickly to use it. I can always use my 22.5, but after reading everyone's set and forget these things, it would help me get a lot of other things done if I don't have to babysit it as much.

-I have the 32qt pot from Target. It's not a perfect fit on top. I really hate to crimp it as other have done but I really don't have the luxury of time- people start coming in for T day tomorrow, so I need to get it on early.
- I have a new Joe assembled
-I only have the charcoal grate and the cooking grate. I'm only doing one butt, anyway and can add a 2nd grate later.
-I have the stainless bolts to position the cooking grate. This is probably my biggest question. Do most of you have two grates in your mini build? How far down from the top should I put the first one? Will this make the bottom one too low?
-I know some of you cut the entire inside diameter bottom out. Others just drill holes. I'm lost!
-What about the clay pot. I forgot to look for one at Lowes. Can I use something else? Two fire bricks with a disposable pie pan?

Anything else I'm missing? I know this is one of those "it's been covered, read and learn for yourself" but I really don't want to wade back through the hundreds of posts, only to not have this thing ready for tomorrow morning. It's not life or death, but I'd just like to try it. Thanks!

Hey good luck with your build. You didn't mention if you are using the SMJ gold or silver. There are some different mods for both.

For the grate I have two. The lower one i set right at the lip where the steamer insert rests. The upper in all of my mini's is right at 4" from the top lip of the pot. . I use the upper one 96% of the time, the lower I use on occasion.

For a diffuser you can use anything that has good solid mass. I have used a flat lava rock, bricks, tin pan filled with sand, clay plant tray, 1" chunk of granite, the steamer insert. When I use a diffuser I put it on the lower rack or steamer insert.

I prefer to cut the bottom out of the pot. My reasoning is that it allows you to really load the basket. I can do a 12-14 hour cook on an over full basket running the mini at 225-250. Keep in mind that is using a charcoal basket and in great conditions. 8-10 cooks are no problem with the proper mods.

I highly recommend adding side vents if you have the silver. This will allow you for some smoking hot temps and great control for the lower temps. An ash guard is also must for the lower vent in the silver.

For both the silver and gold a charcoal basket will give you better fuel efficiency. If you don't weld one can be wired up or bent together using using expanded metal and the charcoal grate for the bottom. I believe my charcoal basket is 3 1/4" tall. The expanded metal is easy to cut with tin snips, jigsaw with a metal blade, hacksaw, grinder, etc.

Good luck and show off your new mini!

should mention that I like to attach the pot lid to the bottom of the pot. Gives a good fit at the base, and also allows you to stack pots.

8636532240_1c011bcde7_c.jpg

8636533010_76d1603145_c.jpg

Back