Turkey: How Much?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Today I paid 38 cents a pound for a Norbest frozen 21 pounder in Arlington Heights IL with a $25. grocery purchase
at Ultra Foods, a place that I shop often.

What is the best Turkey deal that you have seen this season?

What is it made of? Soya paste? 38 cents a pound is insane. LOL http://www.namimoonfarms.com/news/the-price-of-a-turkey/
As any savvy business executive knows often times companies will use a product as a loss leader e.g., spend $100 and get a free turkey or a turkey for .38 per lb. They make an exceptional buy on turkeys and draw you in purchasing their higher margin items (excluding liquor) to get your .38 per lb turkey. No direct reflection of the quality of the turkey you're receiving, really more of a reflection on their negotiation or buying power. Looks like you got a pretty good deal on a turkey.

Last edited:
The cheapest I have seen was $0.69 a lb with no restrictions. I live in farm country tho so usually buy directly from the farmer as there are several Turkey Farms in the area.

Cheapest I've seen so far this year was $0.57 about two weeks ago for frozen birds.

I bought a 1.09 butterball from costco and I broke it down for some projects last weekend and it was a bit slimy, I asssume from the brine solution?

Anyway I might be a sucker but just bought a 2.49lb "natural" from whole foods.

Local Krogers have .69lb frozen but they don't even offer any turkeys without enhancement. :(

Well, I'm particular about what I buy, so once again this year we have a fresh Rocky's organic turkey, $2.99 per pound. And an extra 25 cents per pound for them to brine it (their brine is divine, lol). Third year in a row with this bird and it's so much better than any I have had before. The only turkey I still want to try is a heritage bird, but those are $4.99 per pound. Ain't cheap, but we only do turkey once a year so no scrimping. Now if I can just manage to smoke it without messing it up (first time) it will truly be an event to be thankful.

Frozen is 55 cents, Fresh is 99 cents at Winco & Food Max in the East Bay Area, kalifornia

The wife and I were returning home after spending Thanksgiving at our daughter's and stopped at our local Krogers to pick up a couple of steaks for supper. They had Honeysuckle turkeys on sale for $.29 a lb. If I didn't already have a turkey and 2 bone in turkey breasts in the freezer I would have picked one up.

Wow, for 29 cents a pound I would have bought one even if my freezer was full. Great price!

Back