Wisconsin Style Brats

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The last time I made Brats they were very good. However, I did hear a cpl comments like "these are good. …but they aren't Johnsonville." So I am going to try a Johnsonville clone. Here's the recipe for 10 lbs, I halved it for 5 lbs of fresh ground pork butt.

5 TBS Canning Salt
3 Eggs (I used two for 5 lbs.)
1 Pint Cold Milk
1 TBS Pepper
1 TBS Mace (I used All Spice as a sub because I didn't have Mace)
1 tsp Ginger
1 TBS Nutmeg

We'll see…

033_zps4b36a81d.jpg

035_zpsc147f174.jpg

037_zpsc2b16369.jpg

040_zpscd059b9b.jpg

Dwain, Johnsonville brats are OVER RATED
Anyone saying anything different has not tasted a REAL Wisconsin Brat.

I'd LOVE to taste yours!

Dwain, Johnsonville brats are OVER RATED
Anyone saying anything different has not tasted a REAL Wisconsin Brat.

I'd LOVE to taste yours!

Well Jim, the ballot is in. SWMBO said we're never buyin Brats at the grocery anymore. She LOVED them. I made a warm German Potato Salad (with my homemade bacon) to go with them. I heated up a few pretzels as well.

021_zps26b30c58.jpg

Looks great Dwain! I'd love to be able to make some because we love brats. Thanks for for sharing, that whole plate looks DAN DEE!!

Dwain, they sure look good! I'll bet you most certainly can taste a BIG difference in yours
icon14.png
compared to Johnsonville

Wow! Those look great Dwain and warm German potato salad that was a staple in our house when I was growing up in Chicago long ago.

For me the brand of the brat isn't important, but the grind is. We love a coarse grind for our brats, the fine grind does not taste anywhere near as good as coarse ground brats. Your's look great, just the way we like them. I don't really know why the type of grind of the meat makes it taste different to us, but I've talked to my wife about it and she says she tastes a difference too and prefers the coarse grind.

Back