buckboard bacon

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I ran out of Buckboard Bacon so I started another this AM. I used Shooter's recipe.

004_zps750421f6.jpg

cure first

005_zps3f16ea06.jpg

then the herbs and spices

006_zps6c6f02ab.jpg

It'll be ready to smoke and slice in 10 days. I'll flip every day until then.

007_zpsf9666996.jpg

Last edited:
I saw your post further down the page "cured pork butt", great pics and directions. This is the same I assume?

Yes it is. That post actually inspired this effort. I went in and sliced my last bit of BB Bacon and today was sausage day so I "stole" a small money muscle roast for this cure.

It'll be ready to smoke and slice in 10 days. I'll flip every day until then.

007_zpsf9666996.jpg

OK Dwain, I have a question. I just started my 3rd attempt at buckboard bacon. The instructions say to flip the bacon after 5 days, but you flip it daily. Since you have done a ton of buckboard bacon I'd like to ask why you flip it daily as opposed to once at 5 days. Evidently you have noticed a benefit to flipping it more often and I (we, 'cuz there are probably others here) would like to know why! I thought about PM'ing you, but I think it's more informational if I post it here for everyone to read.

As an aside, I think one of my ziplock bags has a leak in it. Would you re-season the butt before using a new bag, or just transfer it as is? I am on day 1 (actually, I just put it in the fridge at 2:30 pm today, so it's only a couple of hours in right now).

Thanks for you help with this Dwain!

I am far from an expert ...I flip it daily cause I'm anal. Nothing more than that. I look at the BBB and the slab bacon and flip them both daily. LOL.

If I had a leak I'd move to a new bag as soon as I found out along with any liquid.

Last edited:
I'm moving it to a new bag today, along with the liquid since it contains the cure in it. I'm going to follow your (and Tom's) example and flip daily. I tried something different for me with this one. I had the butt in a glass casserole dish and used a knife long enough to rest on both sides of the dish (to serve as a guide), then butterflied the butt to get two thinner halves. Don't know if this will work better or not, but it will give me thinner strips - more like real bacon.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response Dwain and Tom!

FWIW. I also flip daily. IMO, having each side sitting in the brine for 4-5 days does make the outer layer a little broken down.

That's gonna be some fine buckboard! Buckboard is our favorite bacon. When dry rub curing I also flip and massage daily. Another thing to mention for those thinking about dry rub curing, don't drain the bag during the curing process. Those juices contain cure and it needs to stay with the meat.

Back from travel and have a chance to see how the Buckboard Bacon turned out. I removed it from the cure, rinsed it off, and sliced a cpl pieces for a test fry. Not too salty so into the smoker once the weather breaks.

005_zps8f73e235.jpg

006_zpsfd294a5f.jpg

008_zpsd262dc96.jpg

Sure sounds simple enough to do going to try this. Is Morton's Tender quick available in grocery stores or do you have to special order it?

Sure sounds simple enough to do going to try this. Is Morton's Tender quick available in grocery stores or do you have to special order it?

I live in Madison County Alabama (aka "country"). We have it at the grocery store. I am not sure if they have it where you are but it can be ordered online.

Last edited:
Rich,
Some larger sporting good stores should carry it, or maybe farm and home store.
Amazon has it for $14.40, free Prime shipping.
Best online price I've found is Allied Kenco.
I put a bag in my cart and with shipping it was $11.04.
search their site for Tender Quick,
http://www.alliedkenco.com/

Back