Question for those buying fresh birds

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
When do you buy yours? I usually hit the store first thing in the morning on Tuesday and go home and throw her in the brine. This morning I was speaking with the butcher and he suggested I buy today (Saturday) because the fresh birds are good through Nov. 30th. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've always tried to buy as close as I can to the last minute to ensure freshness, but if I can buy today and not have to run to the store early Tuesday without compromising freshness why not.

Don't wait too long. Of course we never know what "too long" is until it's too late. I am always concerned that when I'm ready to buy they'll be out so I usually buy early.

I bought mine today and it's good through Dec 1st. Glad I bought it early because even though it's fresh a part of it felt frozen likely because it was in the bottom of the cooler. Plan to brine on Tuesday.

8 days in way too long to store any fresh poultry IME. But you could get it now and freeze/thaw.I try to keep fresh poultry no more than three days in the fridge.

If you can get one today and it's good till 11/30/14, do it cuz you never know when they run out. You only want to brine a max of 24 hours, and it's good to let it sit for a few hours or more after brining

I bought a fresh Butterball turkey at Costco last Wednesday, the sell by date is Nov. 30, they all were.
My fridge is set at 35F, and I figure it will preserve here as well as it would at the store.

A frozen turkey takes a few days to thaw, parts of it thaw first and remain that way for a few days.
What I've read is that a fresh, locally processed bird should be stored for no more than 2 days, sealed store birds are good until the use by or sell by date.

All fresh turkeys were frozen at one time, its not like they were processed that day and sent to the store.
I buy mine a few days early from a local turkey farm.

Tim

Sorry Tim - when I get mine they are fresh, never frozen. Killed that morning or worst case the day before. Up here it is illegal to sell previously frozen items unless they are marked that way.

Tim, I'm in Sandwich and work over at Eby-Brown in Montgomery. You get your bird at Undessers'??? and how do you usually prepare it?

Tim, I'm in Sandwich and work over at Eby-Brown in Montgomery. You get your bird at Undessers'??? and how do you usually prepare it?

Yea Scott Undressers. Nothing special just a brine and rub with a compound butter under the skin.

Tim

Tim,
It's my first time buying a fresh turkey, so I had concerns.
I did read this on several sites:
(Turkey meat, according to the National Turkey Federation, doesn't freeze at 32°F, but at a temperature closer to 26°F

Tim,
It's my first time buying a fresh turkey, so I had concerns.
I did read this on several sites:
(Turkey meat, according to the National Turkey Federation, doesn't freeze at 32°F, but at a temperature closer to 26°F

Holy cow (pun intended!). Who knew that turkeys can def the laws of physics. You don't actually believe that, do you??

I DID NOT change my post Bob. I merely pointed out, and later verified, that "fresh" up here in Canada actually means fresh. Not ever frozen. If you want to buy a Butterball, go ahead. I prefer my birds without GMO feed, hormones and antibiotics and am very sorry that you are unable to source them locally. For me, there is a world of difference in health and taste from a decent bird that was raised correctly. Do whatever you want (including buying a bird sitting in the fridge for a couple weeks after being frozen) , but please spare me the hyperbole and misdirection.

Back