Transporting Equipment to a Competition

Richard Laiche

Hi all, I plan on competing in my first amateur competition next spring and have no idea how to transport all of the equipment to the site. I don't have a truck/van and don't really know anyone who has one either. The only way I can think to do this would be to rent a U-Haul van or something like that. Has anyone ever rented a truck or van for transportation purposes? Are there any other options anyone can think of?

I wrap my WSM (and mini) in stretch plastic wrap (bought at Costco) keeps everything together and then you're able to tie it down using motorcycle straps

Really depends on how much you're bringing. A rental van is always good because you can use the back for hauling, prep, tailgating, napping, weather relief (don't laugh) etc... Bring a vinyl tarp or get a plastic mattress bag to lay down so clean up is easy and you don't have to worry about spills.

A u-haul enclosed trailer might also work, if you're car is set up to pull one. What pit are you going to take to the comp ? Is the comp a 1 day (chicken & ribs) or an overnighter due with pork shoulder/butt and brisket ?
Wishing you BBQ Excellence at the comp !

Only challenge with a trailer is parking depending on the venue. If it's a small comp they may not have enough parking. We have an amateur comp at the beach in Toronto and they don't provide assigned parking for competitors. If you come late you have to park 10 mins away and humping your kit to your site is a killer. Bigger comps generally provide designated parking by your assigned booth/pit. Enjoy and good luck!

Whatever you decide to use; rental van, trailer etc. You should get the internal dimensions then use masking tape to mark these dimensions on your garage floor then place what you plan to bring to your comp in it. This will enable you to visualize how best to load your equipment and see if you need a bigger trailer, truck etc.

The older I get the more I think about going back to the WSM and Big Drum Smoker for competition
So much easier to move in

Back