Turkey Day For Two

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
Since my son is back on the ship, and the daughter-in-law is taking the kids to her mother's house for Thanksgiving, it's just going to be the wife and I this year. She's having a tough time of it, so I want to make it special for her.

I'm thinking of doing a stuffed turkey breast in the 18.5, but I'm not sure what do do for sides.
I don't want to do the dreaded green bean casserole.
Other than Sausage stuffed mushrooms and twice baked potatoes what would be a "memorable" side that I can make.
I'm going to have the Spirit tied up with the bread and desert, but I'll still have a lot of grill space left over.

Mark, here is a Weber recipe for a side that I will be trying for the first time on Thursday

http://www.weber.com/recipes/veggies/butternut-squash-with-candied-pecans

Weber also has a new recipe of the week that I've been eyeing, but I have my turkey planned already.

http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/turkey-breast-with-cranberry-pecan-stuffing

Most importantly have a lot of fun and try to help your sweetheart focus on what you have as opposed to who is not there. Or....have turkey day on Friday and have your daughter come home if she can.

We've been doing Turkey Day for Two for years having decided to be child-free. From time to time we've entertained an empty nest couple but not this year (actually we'll do this on Christmas this year). But mostly it's the two of us. We suggest a full-up celebration - roast a smallish, say 10#, turkey, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, stuffing and gravy. Nice bottle of shiraz. Prep (with your assistance of course) will help her take her mind off the absence of kids. Then set a formal dinner table, put some good music on the stereo, and have a quiet meal with her. You will end up with turkey sandwiches for a few days and probably enough still left over for a batch of turkey soup. Enjoy the quiet time with your wife and be thankful for your kids.

Well we decided to do a Beercan Chicken Thanksgiving.
With that being said I'm thinking of doing
Sausage stuffing, acorn squash, mini green bean casserole, and some kind of a crumble for desert.
I'd like to do twice baked potatoes to boot, but that'd be a bunch of starch.

I'll tell you what. Buy a nice bottle of wine, fire up the fireplace, move the furniture around to where you and your sweetie pie are snuggling in front of the flames and live the dream my friend! Your menu sounds wonderful. Do the potatoes.

Mark,
I've been a empty nester for a good many years now. But being the Mother of 3, Grandmother and Great Grandmother to 9, I know exactly how your wife feels, as all my children either live out of state or out of the Country. We have not celebrated a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday as a family for many years, due to work schedules of the kids, or my own before I retired 2 years ago. With all that said, what I would do for the childless holidays was to invite a divorced Dad who had visitation with his daughter on Thanksgiving to dinner or a recently divorced or widowed co-worker or friend to the holiday dinner, and it always took my mind off not having my children home. My suggestion to you is, don't change your holiday menu because it's just you two, otherwise it's not going to feel like a holiday. Go with your normal menu, and enjoy the leftovers or invite someone to share your holiday with you and send a plate home with them!
I'm cooking for 2 this year, a divorced friend is coming, and my menu will be 2 turkey breasts ( so he can take one home for sandwiches, and I don't care for dark meat, so decided to go with a breast this year) dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes made to taste like pumpkin, shrimp salad, cranberry orange relish, yeast rolls,Watergate salad, glazed carrots, home made clam dip w/Frito scoops and deviled eggs. And a pie of some sort I have not decided on yet.
Same traditional menu I have always cooked for my children, but concentrating to make divorced friend holiday, still a holiday without his family.. I wish you and your wife a Happy Thanksgiving..

Last edited:
We were planning on inviting friends over, so I got the turkey and ham purchased and in the freezer. Then, we decided not to, so I am saving them for Christmas when the son will be home. Bought us a couple choice ribeyes, some scallops I am going to wrap in bacon, and a nice salad. A meal to be thankful for...

We were planning on inviting friends over, so I got the turkey and ham purchased and in the freezer. Then, we decided not to, so I am saving them for Christmas when the son will be home. Bought us a couple choice ribeyes, some scallops I am going to wrap in bacon, and a nice salad. A meal to be thankful for...

Now that sounds like a good spread.

Well as I said, I ended up cooking a brined beer can chicken yesterday.
ry%3D480

I tried a new brine recipe and it was fantastic. I also drank the beer and used water and orange juice in the can.
Although it wasn't turkey we still made it special.
ry%3D480

Beer Can chicken, green bean casserole, stuffed mushrooms, stuffing and yes, even the pumpkin pie came off the grills.
I hate not having a houseful, but it was still special.
I hope everyone here was blessed with a special day, and thanks for all the help.

Back