My Browns mini in progress...

John Wheeler

TVWBB Pro
Well here's my version of a mini WSM. I will eventually build a steamer pot mini mini, but as for right now, this is what I got so far...

First coat was grill paint. Didn't realize it was flat.

I took a cooking grate from a $15 craigslist kettle I just picked up (that's another post) and did the old charcoal grate mod. I left the ends long on purpose. It gave me an extra inch of ash room below. It will also fit a double tuna can ash vent mod now as well.

Charcoal grate in.

If you look closely you can see I used longer machine screws for the deflector/water pan holder. I'm using a 12" pizza sheet as the deflector. If I use it, it will be foil wrapped. It measures 13" and fits like a glove! It's such a right fi, there is no wiggle between the bolts.

Second grate.

Top grate.

All buttoned up!

I still need to make my ash blocker and install my atc mount. Then the test burn out and a good seasoning! Total cost of this build so far... A $9 can of spray paint! I returned the grill paint for gloss clear. I will need a second grate as well. Grill was a barter. Drum and hardware were work perks. I will post more tomorrow.

Looking good John. I'd run a bolt right through that sucker right about 4 or 5 inches down from the top. Get some meat hooks and hang some Tri Tip, chickens, or whatever floats your boat

I'm gonna keep an eye out for a barrel like yours

I like it! I wouldn't even bother getting a tamale steamer! Or if you really want one, I'll trade you a tamale steamer for that Drum!

Back