Pheasant on the WSM

Christian M

A friend of mine just went on a pheasant hunt and wants me to cook them up. I figured there was no better way to do them than to throw them on the WSM. Was thinking of just doing a basic brine and maybe smoking with some peach or pecan. Do any of you have any experience smoking pheasant? Any pointers that I should be aware of? And am I cooking to 160 - 165ish in the breast similar to some other poultry? Thanks for any feedback you can offer. Going into this blind but looking forward to it.

Thanks!

For sure brine them. I would also use a water pan. Pheasant has a tendency to dry out when cooking. I would baste or glaze with something. I love Pheasant and cook them often, but I have pretty much resorted to the crock pot to keep them moist. Pull them off the WSM at about 150* and wrap in foil and towel in cooler. They will finish around 160*s. Hopefully that helps?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer. Going into this blind but looking forward to it.Thanks!
I used to smoke Pheasants all the time back when I hunted them. Back then, I didn't have a WSM, I had the ECB. Brining doesn't hurt, but because they're game birds, they have a good flavor from God

If the skin is important (I like the skin)

I recommend cooking them at 325 or even 350
I cook my poultry to 160
Afterwards, I don't wrap them in foil because foiling wrecks the skin

If skin isn't important or if you skin them prior to cooking

I recommend cooking at 250
I cook to 160
This is where wrapping the bird in foil is good. Wrapping puts the moisture in the meat

It doesn't take long to cook a pheasant. They not fat (unless they're penned birds released on a club)

Gotta have garlic rice, merlot is good, or a real hoppy beer

I do a pheasant every year, Brine for sure 8 - 12 Hrs, I also put some compound butter under the skin & Lie bacon across the breast for the 1st half of the cook, then I remove to brown the skin, always comes out juicy

More than 1 way to do pheasant. If you want to smoke the bird whole thats fine, you can also cut it up and grill pieces like chicken or duck.
I like crispy skin and not dried out, very important as it will dry out easily so keep a close eye on it. 325F and a chunk of hickory is my style.
The kettle works well too. Enjoy.

Pheasant are tasty little guy's. I can smash a few of them in a sitting. I've done them a lot of different ways a few times. I would base my cook on the age of the bird. The older ones are not tender enough to be roasted. So a low and slow with a braise is outstanding. Don't be scared to make a nice stock or stew like braise. If you get a younger bird witch will be most likely (Most Pheasant don't see a second winter in the US.) I would roast it at 375-400ish and yank it between 150-55.

Thanks for all of the great advice. It's looking like Sunday will be the day of the cook. Will be doing some butts that day as well, so it's looking like slow and low will be best approach.
Hey, at least I'll be eating in style if my Chargers continue their general suckiness this weekend against the Rams.

Thanks again.

Back