New 18.5"

Donna Shegonee

TVWBB Member
I just took the new WSM outside (installed indoors) & the ground was so froze I couldn't put in its new home. So I put it in the middle of the yard. I currently have a chimney of Charcoal starting so I can season it. I currently have a 14.5" so Now need to figure out the differences in charcoal... won't take long though.

You might find that you can use your charcoal ring out of your 14" in your 18" that way you get a "solid" pile of charcoal, but don't burn as much. I keep looking for a used 14" just so I can have the charcoal ring

Thanks seasoned it today used 1/4 full water bowl filled with sand went real well for the cooler weather. gonna give it a real run on Saturday

Congrats on the new toy. I recommend about a 10 lb bone in low n slow pork butt to really give you an idea of what this baby can do. It will season it well, too.

Congratulations on your new wsm! I have a 18.5"wsm, and a 22.5"wsm. Your going to love the extra space that the 18.5"wsm will give you. I'm with Dwain, put a butt in that thing.
P.S. good to see another member from CO!

I have a SJ mini and then picked up an 18.5 and the only real difference after my first cook with damp charcoal was the 18.5 because it's bigger I guess reacts to changes a lot slower than the mini. But other than that pretty much the same.
Try taking the water pan out and run a hot fire and do some grilled chicken letting the juices drip onto the coals, best chicken I've had in years!

Back