Brown Sugar

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So I am very picky about using only dry rubs on meat I cook. for the most part I build my own dry rubs. I have two recipes that I use a lot but I hate making because they call for brown sugar. The moisture in the brown sugar balls up when I start adding the other, drier ingredients. Any suggestions on how to keep the brown sugar from balling up? I tried spreading it out and drying on a cookie sheet but that seemed to make it worse as the smaller balls were really had to break apart? Any tips?

Dry it in the oven. Here it is stupid dry (20% RH) so just leaving it on the counter works. If it clumps, pop it into a ziplock bag and run over it with a rolling pin.

A brown sugar substitute is "Raw Sugar" which you can get for free at Starbucks for the price of a cup of coffee

A brown sugar substitute is "Raw Sugar" which you can get for free at Starbucks for the price of a cup of coffee

resized_je_zps0b74758d.jpg

Or when dried out into little rocks, run it through your spice (AKA a cheap coffee) grinder dedicated to spices. Thats what I do.

If I want brown sugar I put it on the meat separately. Sprinkle the sugar, rub it in, then add my rub. I do the same with salt.

Back