Buckboard bacon...need help

I thought about this a bit more.... ran to check my copy of Ruhlman's book. He says the brown is generally the result of not evenly spreading the cure salt (likely in the bacon spice you got). So it _might_ be OK. But *I* still would not use it because if your cure temps are off and the cure is incomplete you could get the bad bacteria. I would still toss it. Or be sure you cook the crap out of it which kinda ruins the whole thing. Next time put it in a big ziplock and turn it regularly. And Ruhlman's book is a good one to ask from Santa.

Like Tom, I think the grey spots are "cold" -aka not enough cure mixture, and the pink spots are "hot" -those spots that did get cured.

Also like Tom I do not think it's normal and would chuck it. Live and learn.

The cure has to be carefully measured based on trimmed weight, the meat has to be evenly coated with the cure, laid smoothly in the bag - no wrinkles, and the meat has to be turned daily. A brine will form in the bag which should not be removed - simply leave it in the bag and turn it daily to reabsorb over time.

Here's an easy side meat bacon recipe
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13312-Bacon-made-easy

And this is Shooters’ Dry Cure Recipe for Buckboard Bacon:

Cure Mix:

1 TBS Morton’s Tender Quick per pound of trimmed meat
1 tsp Raw Sugar per pound of meat

Mix and combine well with the above cure. Remember that all must be used on each cut to ensure the proper and safe amount of cure. If multiple meat cuts are used it must be mixed for each individual cut.

Spice Mix:

Mix the following per pound of trimmed meat.

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Basil dried
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
1 tsp Course Black Pepper

Rub meat well with mixture and place in zip lock bag. Any remaining rub left behind should be scraped into bag. Place bag in refrigerator turning bag over daily. The temperature of your refrigerator should be below 40 degrees but above 33 degrees. The meat will feel firm when cured. Remove meat from bag after curing, rinse, and place uncovered in refrigerator overnight or until dry. Fry a thin center cut slice and if to salty rinse again in cold water for 1-2 hrs, changing water every 20 minutes. A few quartered raw potatoes in the water will absorb salt quickly. Dry again and smoke to internal temp of 140.You must cook before serving.

Note: If you smoke to an internal temp of 160 you may eat uncooked. You may glaze during the smoking process with honey, mustard, or maple syrup, if desired.

Curing times:

You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.

003_zps17dcbe9a.jpg

005_zps14e21420.jpg

001_zpsd12a34eb.jpg

014_zps41ecba81.jpg

015_zpsc28e49e6.jpg

It is a fantastic recipe.

Last edited:
it does look like the cure didn't do it's job. Who knows? Use it for coyote bait and chalk it up to a learning experience. If you are just entering the wonderful world of making/curing types of meat. Let your BBB go for ten days. At that point there will be no doubt that is cured and you will start to recognize the feel,smell,look,texture, of the meat.

Geez...thanks a lot guys. What a wealth of knowledge!

Going in the garbage tonight. I thought I did it right according to the simpleton directions on the box....but will definitely use what you guys are referencing.

Back