Hello from South Wales UK

Steve Terry

Hello everyone,would love some tips from you guys as an absolute newcomer to this game,bought a Brinkmann gourmet smoker in the spring,but just this week purchased a Weber 57cm Smokey Mountain,looking forward to using it,Steve.

Thanks Chucko, I need to know how to smoke a whole turkey for Christmas - should I brine or not and what type of rub to use and how long to smoke for and do I use Minion method or snake - there's so much to learn and I need to walk before I can run, but I'm so excited about my WSM and the great food I can look forward to eating.

Thanks Chucko, I need to know how to smoke a whole turkey for Christmas - should I brine or not and what type of rub to use and how long to smoke for and do I use Minion method or snake - there's so much to learn and I need to walk before I can run, but I'm so excited about my WSM and the great food I can look forward to eating.
I piggyback everything Jim Lampe said, he's a Jedi. The only thing I would point out is that cooking a turkey on your smoker is done in high heat. How high you say? I did one last weekend at 350 degrees, it was really good, but I probably should have cooked it at 375, maybe 400

Don't forget turkey talk forum. You can see what other's have done and are doing, in addition to posting ideas and questions

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?81-Turkey-Talk

Thanks guys - there's so much to learn and loads on here to take in.
If Jim is a Jedi then I have a long way to go to become even a padawan!! I really enjoyed using my Brinkmann even if I spent quite a lot of money and time momodifying it (had to raise the charcoal grill grate and stick a stove rope and fit a damper to the lid, but it taught me how to control temps a little) - can't wait to use my WSM maybe this weekend I'll put on a brisket (Welsh beef is really good quality) and see how that goes.

Welcome Steve. Nice to see more representation from the UK.
This place is a font of knowledge. Spend a bit of time looking around, and you'll have few problems. Great bunch on here, & always happy to help out. (I got help on here one time during a cook I was doing............in real time).
That Anglesey Salt-Marsh Lamb would be a winner on the WSM.

Enjoy your new smoker AND the forum Steve. Don't forget to have a Newcastle Brown while your sitting back and allowing your WSM to work its magic.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

it's christmas eve and i'm able to use my WSM for the first time - hurray!! - i've done a smoked maple barbecue turkey and can't wait for it to be ready - it's been in for 3 hours and reading 149 on my meat probe so hopefully won't be much longer - just a quick question though - when refuelling the WSM via the front door,does anybody have any tips to add the lit coals through the hole via some sort of scuttle,or shute,rather than as i've done today,using tongs and adding a coal one by one.

Welcome to the forum Steve and enjoy that bird. The scoop should do the trick. I would probably go with something a little shallower on th sides buy that would be fine. Good Luck.

Great idea with the flour scoop!! - really pleased with the turkey, my first smoke with my new Weber Smokey Mountain was a success, hurray! ! - the best part was, as my wife brought back a side of salmon home from work on Christmas Eve and I still had hot enough coals, I made a mix of gin and maple syrup and brushed it onto the salmon flesh then made a rub of just garlic salt and cayenne chili pepper and smoked the salmon on a wood plank for an hour and a half adding just one chunk of cherry wood - delicious.

Terry it sounds like you will be a Jedi in no time . Grays on your first cooks they should great making a guy hungry.

Back