Is a damper needed for low'n'slow?

Jeff Connell

Hello all,

Starting my 4.2.4 build soon - and I have my first question. I have large BGE, and when I do a cook at 225-250, I need to shut down my dampers pretty far. It seems to me that if I hook up the blower with the full opening, the opening would be too wide to maintain 225, it would be around the 300 range looking a the size of that opening. Are folks using dampers? what type? I've seen simple gravity dampers, hinge on top. When the blower isn't going, the airflow is blocked.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance -

Jeff.

The bare blower lets quite a bit of air through when not blowing. Most folks here are getting fancy with servo operated dampers, because why not? :) I had both an Auber and Stoker fan with gravity swinging damper doors and they both worked very well.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael - that makes sense. I'll see how the build goes with a gravity damper before I start the mods - I'm sure mods are part of the fun.

I have a large BGE and designed and used HeaterMeter for years with no damper and had no problem maintaining 225F.

I had to close the top vent down so a toothpick would barely fit through some of the holes (some were closed completely). I tried various flaps and springy mechanisms as dampers but they didn't work much better than the stock setup.

That said, the servo damper is a lot easier because the top vent position doesn't matter that much any more.

Back