Is the varscona pot dead?

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
Is the vasconia pot dead?

I'm planning on making a mini for my brother in law for Christmas but I can't find the vasconia 32 steamer pot anywhere! Every place says it's out of stock. That is the pot I used for my mini so I'm a little nervous about using the IMUSA. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, there are two on Ebay now... For $167 & $95. By the time I buy those & the supplies, I might as well buy a new 18.5"!!

I haven't found one since I bought my last two through Walmart online. That was at least 6 months ago. For a while Macy's had them in store locally, but not online. Hoffritz Brand has one that fits perfectly too. We have a local store that carries them and I have seen the brand at some national sporting good stores, like Sportsmans Warehouse. The only downside to the Hoffritz pot is the metal handles.

8635425277_020128be44_b.jpg

There is one on EBay right now for $99. That the cutting and etc. is already done for you, all that's needed is paint. Brand new, and free ship. I even gave it a thought, but I already played Santa to myself, and bought a Mojoe Griddle.

Yes, there are two on Ebay now... For $167 & $95. By the time I buy those & the supplies, I might as well buy a new 18.5"!!
Even if you buy a pot for $25 to $30

Pot $30
SJ $35
Grates $25
Thermo $25
SS Hardware $10
Paint $10

You might be better off buying a 14" for your BiL

Agree with Chuck, when I built my mini there was no Weber 14.5. If you shop around you may find Weber that's being closed out for less than the price of building one.

Agree with Chuck, when I built my mini there was no Weber 14.5. If you shop around you may find Weber that's being closed out for less than the price of building one.

For me it's more about the build than the cost. I enjoy tinkering around in the shop! With that said the biggest expense I have incurred when building my mini's has been the pots ($29.00 for the Hoffritz pot). I have purchased all of my Smokey Joes off Craigslist or at garage sales. I paid $3 for one that came with a near full bag of lump. The other I paid $5 came with wood chips, a half bag of briquettes and a chimney! My last one was brand new in the unopened box and it was $8.

I prefer to make gifts when I can rather than pick a mass produced object off a shelf in the store. Hence the reason everyone in our family gets smoked cheese, nuts, and spices from me for the holidays!

I used the IMUSA in my first mini and it worked fine.

I bought a Vasconia this summer just to have it around. I am glad I did

I agree with Case, it's the build not the cost. Plus, he loves my mini and he already has the grill so it's just the pot & thermometer.

Loved building my mini. Don't think I would have just gone and bought a 14. I have a WSM 22.

Right now, I'm considering a Mini-Za build. It's only the shortage of IMUSA and Vasconia pots that is stopping me.

Loved building my mini. Don't think I would have just gone and bought a 14. I have a WSM 22.

Right now, I'm considering a Mini-Za build. It's only the shortage of IMUSA and Vasconia pots that is stopping me.

Look for the Hoffritz pot. I also noticed another off brand the other day at one of our Hispanic markets. I didn't have time though to check the measurements. The Mini-ZA is the bomb especially for traveling, cook pizza, smoke a pork butt, or whatever you want.

I'm really liking the looks of those that are using the 16 gallon drums. I have found them online between $45-$100. Need to find one locally, time to start scouring the mechanic shops! When I was a kid my dad had one that he used for trash in his shop. Wish I had it now!

I used a 16 gallon drum. Glad I did. It was from chevron delo-2 industrial grease. The grease comes inside a super thick bag. Like a giant pastry bag. The inside of the drum was clean. Be careful with the paint on these drums. You need to find the gloss black looking finish or stainless. The blue was hard to clean for paint as it too wanted to come off. We will find out today if it holds up.

Back