My Browns mini Sunday smoker.

John Wheeler

TVWBB Pro
I recently came across a vintage, NFL edition, Cleveland Browns, Smokey Joe grill. It's so old, it has no perks! Basics only. I'm making this a hybrid portable grill/ 14 1/2" WSM/ mini smoker. I'm not going the steamer pot route. I got the "16" gallon drum for free. Here is the first pic afte one cut.

Total height right now is 34". Slightly taller than a 14. Not sure what direction I want to go. I'm leaning towards as cheap as possible because high temp paint to match the Browns helment won't be cheap. And anyone who has seen my WSM double door mod, knows this will have doors too! I might build the cost free version first, just cuz I can. Then mod the bleep out of it.

Help me find the Jedi path fellow weber'ers! All input welcome. This will be a forum inspired build.

I'm also not sure if I want to try and refurb the print on the handle or find a new one first. Nfl edition would be cool to see big and bright. Especially because the clowns finally don't suck for a change! Hope I didn't just jinx them. Lmao

You could put a bolt (long) through that drum and be able to hang Tri Tip and Yard Birds off meat hooks. What was in the drum previously? You'll want to make sure it wasn't used to store toxics

Looks like a great start John. Maybe with the Vasconia pots out of the picture these will become more popular.
I am keeping my eye out for a good 16 gal drum now.

Woohoo I want it ! I have been scouring my local area for one! I like Chucks Idea, reminds me of Chicken in a Barrel in Kauai, that's how the cook the meat in the barrels there!
As mentioned do a good burnout on that barrel to remove anything inside and to remove the paint on the outside. The exterior paint isn't high temp.

When I built my UDS I took my 55 gallon drum to a powder coat shop. They sandblasted it inside and out for $25, powder coated the exterior with high temp powder coat for $50.

8382391744_e14b8f3597_h.jpg

Before (red one on right)

9194813713_f112b4a223_h.jpg

After exterior

9194825745_932d7b7dc4_h.jpg

After interior, had orange epoxy interior originally.

Back