Savory Turkey Brine with Soy Sauce

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this recipe from Kikkoman for a soy-based turkey brine. Might give this one a try, as soy provides great umami flavor.

Savory Turkey Brine

For up to a 24 lb turkey

2 gal cold water
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons celery seed
10 oz soy sauce
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 Tablespoons dried sage
1 Tablespoon dried thyme

Combine ingredients in a large non-reactive container, stirring until salt is dissolved. Submerge turkey in brine. Refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours. Remove from brine, rinse well, pat dry with paper towels, and cook the turkey as usual.

Umami /uːˈmɑːmi/, a savory taste, is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweet, sour, bitter and salty)

Chris (or anyone) would you do a rub after using this brine? I'm going to do a test run this weekend using this brine, but was wondering what rub (if any) you'd do when it comes out of the brine

Thinking about following this brine up with this rub:

1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground oregano

Says it adds up to about a cup, but it seems like maybe adds up to 5/8 cup, may have to double it up to cover the whole bird and inside out

Just put my practice bird in this brine, looking forward to that Umami flavoring:)

have you cooked it yet?
I cooked it yesterday on the WSM. Came out great, but got super busy and only photos I got of it is when it came out. Excellent Brine, highly recommended, the rub was very good too :)

IMG_1309_zpsb024f5e5.jpg

IMG_1308_zps9bad4c52.jpg

Salt in the brine and and in the rub: not too much taste-wise?
No, it was very good. As far as brines go, it's pretty light on the salt in the first place, (most likely because of the Soy sauce)The rub is also pretty light on salt as well. 3/4 cup of salt in total between the brine and rub is pretty light, saltwise. Most brines have that much salt if not more

Salt in the brine and and in the rub: not too much taste-wise?
Actually the salt content in this brine seems awfully low. Maybe the sodium/salt in the soy sauce makes-up for it?

EDIT, just caught Chuck's post where he said salt content was low so I guess I'm seconding that, really resembles more of a flavor brine that a traditional brine.

Last edited:
No, it was very good. As far as brines go, it's pretty light on the salt in the first place, (most likely because of the Soy sauce)The rub is also pretty light on salt as well. 3/4 cup of salt in total between the brine and rub is pretty light, saltwise. Most brines have that much salt if not more

Was the bird enhanced also or salt free?

Saw this recipe from Kikkoman for a soy-based turkey brine. Might give this one a try, as soy provides great umami flavor
Hey Chris. Did you end up making / using this brine? I did two birds in November using it, it's by far my favorite brine

Thanksgiving day bird
D2BEA187-8CBB-4380-A579-7722A2C0E0B2_zpsnffo5nii.jpg

Pre-Thanksgiving day bird
IMG_1308_zps9bad4c52.jpg

Next year I'll work on color (manage my pit temps better) but I have to be sure not to lose flavor, and these birds, dark as they are, were fantastic. Thanks for the recipe

Back