cover for WSM 22.5 and OTG 26.75

Steph V

TVWBB Member
My covers are needing to be replaced for my 22.5 and OTG 26.75 and I'm looking for a solution to work in conjunction with the new covers to really keep the moisture out of the pit and grill. I recently spotted a small water puddle inside the wsm. I keep them covered with dampers closed. There are no leaks around the body rings so I'm wondering how water worked it's way inside to begin with. I recently installed CB grommets for my temp control unit along with the mount for the fan. The fan mount appears to be flush so it could be the grommets however those holes are tiny and the Weber cover drapes over them so not sure how this keeps happening. I'm tempted to go to the hw store and get some heavy duty plastic to go over the weber covers but that would draw the ire of my better half.....any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Steve-Could be but I never saw anything like this until I started making modifications to the pit. The OTG needs a cover but I've never had a problem with that one. I do use the cb door so that seals it up nice at the door. We did have a very hard rain two days prior but even still, the dampers were closed and the cover was on. If there was just some other brand of cover that was big enough to go over the weber covers on each unit that would be the best thing but I have no idea which one would be best for either.

the seams on the WSM cover . . .
these covers are NOT weather proof...
water can penetrate through the seams.

cheap solution: first cover your WSM with a very large plastic garbage bag THEN cover everything with your WSM vinyl cover.

Jim - Brilliant! I did not know about those seams but makes total sense. Those 55 gallon drum liners outta work. Sometimes the best most direct answer is not so obvious. That's exactly what I'm going to do! If you were going to plug the 3/4 inch grommet holes what would you use? I'm thinking maybe a couple long screws. Doesn't need to be tight just something that slides in and stays put until you are ready to fire the pit.

If you were going to plug the 3/4 inch grommet holes what would you use?
wine bottle corks? made of synthetic or plastic...?

edit:
if the largest plastic bag will not fit or slide over your WSM, cut one side about halfway ... the bag just needs to cover the lid and where the lid meets the mid-section.

Last edited:
Dwain - excellent link. Thanks!

Jim-I had a 45 gallon in my garage that worked. It's a tight fit but it covers the whole mid section. I may end up trimming it just to get it on and off faster. Thanks again for the idea.

I saw someone on another thread say that he puts his grates in the dishwasher to clean them. I've been using the oven cleaner method. Either of you guys ever try the dishwasher for cleanup? Pros...cons?

You can also flip the mid-section over for storage. Doing this allows the lid to rest over the top of the lip of the mid section instead of sliding into it. This keep water from sliding down the lid and into the cooker.

Jim Lampe-Ha Ha.....Yea, I clean mine but that is the only thing on that pit that gets cleaned. It's developed a nice bark I must say. The thing about oven cleaner is that it really does seem to create a little bit of pitting. I've seen some pretty creative ideas on how to clean em, but man you gotta figure if those things are DW safe then it's problem solved.

JimK- Smart...I Imagine that the water pan just rests in there as usual just on the opposite side of the brackets....between that the garbage bag and the cover, I don"t see how any moister could possibly enter.

if you look closely at the dampers, there is a very slight gap where the stop tab hits. This is enough for condensation to get in.

Donna-You bet it is....I'm hoping that the bag keeps it out.....planning to check it tomorrow since we just had some rain the day before yesterday.

I gave it the check today and the trash bag did the trick!! Very happy about this. I'll probably flip it this weekend and re-bag and re-cover it...just to be on the safe side...Thanks so much guys!

Back