Help with making beef jerky with cure on wsm

J Bowie

TVWBB Member
I have made jerky a few times but have recently acquired a 22 WSM and want to try it out. My beef jerky contains cure so it can be stored out of fridge. I have some that is 2 months old and no problem. I usually heat to 165f max. Any help appreciated.

I actually made a batch last night on my 'new to me' 22.5 WSM. Went with the snake method with 2 chunks of apple and 1 chunk of cherry wood spread throughout the snake. Kept all dampers wide open until temps got to around 120 then shut one down completely and left the other 2 barely open. I was able to hold temps at between 160-170 for the 5-6 hours I had it on. Not my best tasting batch as I was working with whatever marinades/seasonings I had in the cupboard. My first time using the 22.5 so far and first time using the snake method. I must say I'm NOW a fan of the snake method!

Last edited:
I prefer using just a handful of fully lit coals and replenish as needed, I use top round, sliced thin as possible, hang pieces on skewers from both grates, I try to keep temps 125 ish for as long as it takes.

Back