14.5 'ers smoking a turkey this year?

Ted A

TVWBB Member
Question: Anyone successfully smoked a turkey on one of these? Wife said, "you need to smoke a turkey this year" so I'm in trouble.
I'm debating getting a 14.5 or 18.5... so hard to decide. 14.5 looks perfect for everything I do based on responses on TVWBB but I can't find one that said 14.5=good turkey. Plus, some are saying just use a Performer. BTW, I just smoked a 8lb chicken on a mini - rave reviews but the tiki god struggled mightily getting it done. So can anyone help: Get a 14.5, grab a 18.5, or stick to the Performer :confused: :wsm:

My son smoked a small turkey on his mini WSM last year. I've done a turkey breast on my 14.5 with no problems at at. Both turned out great!

buy a rotisserie for your performer and smoke it whilst its turning!!!

(note - no smoke on this one...)

Last edited:
I've done bone in turkey breasts with great results, but not a whole turkey. Awhile back someone posted I think a 10-11 pound whole bird on a mini and said it came out great.

Chris I like the rotisserie suggestion, nice bird btw. Plus thinking I don't want to risk trying something new with hungry guests coming over. OK! I've made my decision! Rotisserie it is! I'll have to wait on the 14.5 experiment...

Thanks for the responses!

Trail B, do you remember what temp you cooked at? Also, do you have the silver or a blower on your mini?

I am curious about this as well. I would really like to buy a 14.5, for one of its first jobs to do a Thanksgiving day bird, but at the same time I feel a 18.5" would be better suited for everything. Its just he wife and I, and we frequently have people over for large meals. So, thinking an 18.5" would be best.

For Ted A, check out this info about temp, time, setup, etc. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey3.html

Thanks for the link. I've been doing a dry brine for the last two years but the recipe looks interesting so will give it some thought. My mini can't get above 150 but I suspect the 14.5 might be able to get to 350 for a turkey... maybe someone can say. BTW, I've cooked for 6 on the mini so imagine a 18.5 would really make a lot of food. Post back here on what you end up with if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I haven't cooked a turkey but I've done several chickens. My 14.5" can get to 350 using briquets if I prop the lid with a screwdriver. However, using lump, I can easily reach 350 - in fact, I had to close my bottom vents to 1/4 to keep it from going higher. In both cases, I used a full mini chimney on 3/4 of a charcoal ring load, spread out. No minion because of the quick cook.

I think I am going to pass on trying to buy a WSM and get it seasoned and try and get my skills enough in the 2 weeks we have until turkey day. I just dont really have the time to do some practice runs. I will probably end up doing it on my Spirit grill though. Done it before and it comes out great! Just wish I had some more time.

If anyone does a turkey on a 14.5 here, I hope they post some pics and info! I am very interested!!

I am not going to be much help. I did this over a year ago and I don't recall what temp I smoked it at. I also have both a silver and gold and don't remember which one I use. That being said, as I said above, it turned out real well. I am sure if a mini wsm can handle a turkey then a 14.5 can as well. However, I would get the 18.5 for more versatility rather than the 14.5.

I plan on doing our Turkey in the 14.5, I'll post pics when it happens.
Using lump, no water pan.
Have nt decided on vertical on the bottom rack or horizontal on the top though.
I'm lucky though, I have an 18.5 also if it's too tight in the 14.5

Michael I will be interested in seeing your pictures. I put my 12 pounder on the 14.5 and it looks like the ends of it would be in the high heat zone around the edges.

I am trying to decide whether to do my 12 pounder on the 22.5 - horizontal, the 14.5 - vertical - or my Charbroil Oil-less turkey fryer.

I am doing a test one this weekend on the oil-less fryer to see what I get.

I have a 14.5" but I just added the 18.5 to my collection. The Main purpose of the 18.5 is to smoke the larger items especially in the dead of winter such as the 10 lb Ham I plan to do for Christmas. our weather is to Un-predictible in the winter it can be 50 - 60 or can be -10 like it was a few days ago. I won't use the 18 a lot but it will be there when I need it.

;)

Just a quick bump on this thread. Did anyone get a bird done on their 14.5? Would love to see some pictures if so.

I did a turkey in my 14.5 this year and it came out fine. I have a pic but don't have an account anywhere to post it. The bird was just under 11 lbs, smoked using lump at 350 degrees for approximately 1.5 hours. I had a small issue with my temp gauge in that I kept getting different readings depending on where I stuck it and didn't understand exactly where to test it (I think I get it now). I used my thermopop just to be safe and verify my dot readings, pulled it at 160 degrees somewhere near the end of the breast. It also passed the wiggle test. Was very good although I actually liked it better the second day.

My son wants me to smoke a goose for Christmas - I don't think I will. Scared of so much fat dripping...

Back