Canadian Bacon Brine Recipes

Hey guys....not coming up with much when searching.
I'm looking to expand on my bacon success and venture into Canadian bacon. Does anyone have a wet cure recipe? Perhaps a sweet one with brown sugar?
I'll take anything that uses pink salt vs TQ as I have plenty of pink salt.
Appreciate the help guys!

Perfect....thanks for sharing....exactly what I was looking for. Love the addition of maple syrup and brown sugar. Wondering if anyone has any experience injecting maple syrup into the loin???
Thinking I may mix cherry and apple wood.
Ahhhhh I love new ventures!

The loin is such a dense meat I doubt it will do much good to inject sugar. Cherry and apple should be nice smoke.

I did one a few years ago. Not my favorite but a couple of my friends still talk about it...one reminded me a couple weeks ago. Post your pics, maybe I'll try again.

Here's one I did in August at 1.5% salt and it was fantastic but I felt it needed a bit more salt. I have bumped the recipe up to 2% salt but also listed the 1.5% recipe. It's not a sweet recipe but you could use brown or maple sugar and double the amount listed. I used a rib end half pork loin and left all the fat on it.

Mix up brine, simmer spices in all or a portion of brine, mix together. Chill brine below 40ºF, inject 15% mass of meat in milliliters of strained brine into the meat then submerge in brine and keep between 36ºF - 38ºF for 5 days. If not injecting keep submerged for 10 days. I smoked mine 27 hours at 160ºF to finish at 140ºF in my Big Steel Keg.

2% Salt Recipe

3610g meat
3610g (ml) water
44g spices
--------------------------------------------------------
200ppm Cure #1 @ 6.25% = 23.2g ~4.5t
Kosher Salt 123.5g
Sugar 72.6g

Spices, 44g
--------------------
Rubbed Sage 1T
Dry Rosemary 2T
Thyme leaves 2T
Black Ground Pepper 2T
9 Bay leaves

1.5% Salt Recipe

3610g meat
3610g (ml) water
36g spices
--------------------------------------------------------
200ppm Cure #1 @ 6.25% = 23.2g ~4.5t
Kosher Salt 87.1g
Sugar 72.6g

Spices, 36g
--------------------
Rubbed Sage 1T
Dry Rosemary 2T
Thyme leaves 2T
Black Ground Pepper 2T
9 bay leaves

20140831_021940_zpswl3liehe.jpg

I injected mine but didn't get it in the smoker for 14 days, too long (see the flaky bits?) stuff came up and I couldn't get around to it, but it was tasty as heck in the end!
20140831_114706_zpselsj4790.jpg

I used this online calculator for the cure salt and sugar amounts, add mass of water being used to mass of meat for equilibrium brine cures:
http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys.....the thing that always confuses me is how much water to use in the brine. On Martin's calculator I can easily figure out the amounts of dry ingredients but the ratio of water to ingredients is what confuses me! I know it's not that hard but I'm stumped!

Thanks guys.....the thing that always confuses me is how much water to use in the brine. On Martin's calculator I can easily figure out the amounts of dry ingredients but the ratio of water to ingredients is what confuses me! I know it's not that hard but I'm stumped!
1:1 means grams of meat:grams of liquid. If the meat weighs 3000g use 3000g of water, enter 6000g in the calculator Weight of Meat in Grams field. Water is 1g per ml, so 1000g of water = 1 litre.

The page Tom linked talks about 2:1 and 4:1 meaning twice as much weight of meat as liquid and four times as much meat as liquid so if 3000g of meat then 1500g (ml) of liquid for 2:1 or 750g (ml) of liquid for 4:1. I chose 1:1 to allow me to (just barely) submerge the meat in a pot.

Back