IQ 110 and WSM hineg

Phil V

TVWBB Member
I Just had my first official cook with both an IQ 110 and the WSM hinge.

I can't go back to not having either one.
Some mods look cool (the cajun bandit door - which I have), others a slight improvements (handles on the WSM), but these two things are key...Just my 2 cents.
The hinge installed in maybe 3 minutes, and my IQ 110 was in control of my pit for 11 hrs while i was cooking 2 butts...

Just wanted to share...very happy to have these two items with me in Canada...all in time for the winter...

Both are great mods, but I only use my IQ120 when I am doing long, over night cooks. For short cooks during the day my WSM runs pretty stable, so it is not needed.

how you like the 120? I was toying with getting that one, but I already have a maverick ET-733 and did think I needed the extra probe.
The 110 is nice, but the display on the 120 is nicer!

I like being able to look out my backdoor and see the LED display on the 120. I also have a Maverick. When using the 120, I can probe three different pieces of meat and know the pit temp.

That's cool that you're enjoying the cooker with your mods. Rare these daze that products work as advertised. Sounds you found several.

Hey Phil, you say you are in Cannuckland. Have you figured out how to use the WSM during the arctic winters? Another tip I found (I think here) was a welders blanket and some spring clamps. Wrap it around your WSM, making sure to leave some room around the vents. It'll keep the wind off it and help it keep stable temps.

I have a garage that I cook in - doors open. This cuts down on the wind.
There was only one day last winter where it was really cold, and I made a custom insulation jacket . I cut out spots for the access door, handles, etc.
I even used Velcro tape to wrap it snug. Worked real nice.

Otherwise, it seems to purr along, and with the IQ, it means more sleep!

I hope that is not the garage attached to your house. Read too many stories of something going wrong and the garage burning down, taking the house with it.

hmmm...good call....may have to rethink my cooks.
Thx for the thought!

Probably don't have to worry about snow where you are...just them rattle snakes!

Just be careful. If I lived in a region like yours, I would probably build a permanent smoker area to block the elements, but make it a safe distance from anything I value, like my home...

Back