Boston Butt Temp Question

William Alexander

Hey all. I'm smoking my first Boston butt and had a question about the temp. This is an 11 lbs. butt and after 3.5 hours (with lid temp at 250) the internal temp of the butt is at 150 already. Is this normal?

Thanks,

William

Yes it is. It will jump up pretty quick then level out and then slowly climb to completion. It's a typicle "S" curve so to speak.

When it levels out -- hitting the "stall" -- don't panic. Just let it ride at the same cooker temp. Your patience will be rewarded.

Here's an example:

PorkButtCook_zps281603c3.png

BTW, I am just north of you here -- near Huntsville.

Last edited:
You're in the stall and will maintain 150 for a few hours. Figure about 13 hours on your BB, but start toothpicking for tenderness once you see 190 internal and don't be surprised if internal reaches 200+ internal

Yep, it will take more than ten hours, no matter what you see early on. For me, twelve to thirteen hours is typical.

You're in the stall and will maintain 150 for a few hours. Figure about 13 hours on your BB, but start toothpicking for tenderness once you see 190 internal and don't be surprised if internal reaches 200+ internal

Steady as she goes, its Q and its done when its done. Like Chuck said start probing at 190 and pull it when its probe tender, might be 195 or I've had one go to 209 before it was probe tender.

Back