Thoughts on searing temps

I got a new laser the other day. Last night I grilled some chicken and was curious about the temp on the grate. Below is the reading I got. You can see in the pic that the laser is hitting the grate and not the coals. This was a CI Stok grate, with Royal Oak lump as fuel. This was maybe a half hour after deeming the coals as properly lit and starting to cook.

What do you guys think is the best temp for searing? I've read two schools of thought, one that says the hotter the better and the other saying anything over 500 or 600 degrees leads to bad results. I tend to fall in the hotter the better camp as I like crust and char, but curious how other folks feel.

tumblr_nebe9rXKnx1s2qn3uo1_500.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question, just wondering who makes that Infra Red Thermometer? What other modes does it have?

Are you reading the grill or the fire?

Not sure it came through on that pic, as it looks now like the laser in this photo is on a piece of hardwood. I can tell you however that read it multiple times, being careful to read the grill, and it was consistently over 900*. The outer portion of the grill was around 750-800 while the center of the grate over the coals was 900+.

I don't know the answer to your question, just wondering who makes that Infra Red Thermometer? What other modes does it have?

It's a Nubee. Got a screaming deal on it via Amazon. It's got adjustable emissivity and C/F. Think the sale is still going on it. I calibrated it off of an ice bath so I'm pretty comfortable it's accurate.

It should be the hotter the better. BUT the hotter is more daungerous for meat.
Lower T allows some LITTLE mistakes about timing. Other day I seared using coals instead of briquettes. The grill grates were TOO MUCH HOT. And the steaks went burned in a moment rounded by flames I couldn't vanquish. No way! Final outcome was charred steaks with an off taste. On the other hand, briquettes burnt at lower T and no flames are generated.
This is my experience. This is why I do prefer lower searing Temp.

My 2 cents...The more relaxing cooking environment any protein is cooked at the better the resault. Like the Sousvide method. Or as any low´n´slow really. My best way to make a perfect steak is to smoke it in low temps. Then let it rest so my internal starts to drop. That way i know its cooked to perfection inside...But lacks the sear that any steak should have. A screaming hot fire does the trick in step 2.

My 2 cents...The more relaxing cooking environment any protein is cooked at the better the resault. Like the Sousvide method. Or as any low´n´slow really. My best way to make a perfect steak is to smoke it in low temps. Then let it rest so my internal starts to drop. That way i know its cooked to perfection inside...But lacks the sear that any steak should have. A screaming hot fire does the trick in step 2.

Yep, reverse sear. Love it.

I've had several lasers, and your might be much better than the ones I've tried.
They work best when you can measure a piece of meat that has a uniform temperature. The area measured is actually much larger than the laser, which acts like a sort of pointer. The laser does not measure anything, it just shows you the general area where the area being measured. So, it is impossible to measure the grate, and not the coals, or the other way around.

When it comes to searing, Mr. Wolgast has explained ine of my favourite approaches already. Works like a charm. I normally use propane instead of coals if we're talking about just a quick sear.

I've had several lasers, and your might be much better than the ones I've tried.
They work best when you can measure a piece of meat that has a uniform temperature. The area measured is actually much larger than the laser, which acts like a sort of pointer. The laser does not measure anything, it just shows you the general area where the area being measured. So, it is impossible to measure the grate, and not the coals, or the other way around.

When it comes to searing, Mr. Wolgast has explained ine of my favourite approaches already. Works like a charm. I normally use propane instead of coals if we're talking about just a quick sear.

Ah, thank you. I knew the laser was just a pointer but didn't realize that the device measures a sort of general area. Thanks.

Sear first or Reverse Sear, your choice. I like the seared meat I get at really good steak houses.
I have seen many food channel and travel channel shows visit the big names like Peter Luger's in NYC and others and they all use a screaming hot oven. Often with the heat from above so as to prevent flair-ups.

Back