Gasket on Base

JLazar

For those who have installed gaskets on your WSM. How/where did you install the bottom gasket? Instructions say horizontally on the base but there isn't a lip there like on the middle section. Do you just install in on the rim of the base and have it sticking over on inside and outside? I have heard that some folks install it vertically on the bottom of the middle section. Any ideas here would be appreciated before I screw up. Only installation video is just for a kettle grill where there is a lip. Also, did you install the gasket on the door or around the door opening?

Mine is simular to Terry's except in a couple of ways... The gasket material I used was the peel and stick type. My gasket on the bottom of the middle section is located a little more up on that inside curve. When assembled, the middle totally rests on gasket material rather than the metal lip of the bottom section.

Yesterday, the gasket on the top of the middle section finally came off with one section of it requiring some human intervention. Not bad considering it has lasted almost 3 yrs (purchased & installed Dec 2011).

Bob

THoey. I had seen your mods thread. That where I got the idea about vertical placement. Is there any problem in getting the middle section into the base when the gasket is placed as you show? I have received word that BBQGaskets says that the lower gasket is no longer needed on newer WSM due to them having a rounded lip. What year WSM do you have? Mine is new (2014). So I am trying to determine do I go ahead and place the gasket as you have or just skip it.

Sorry for the late response. I got my WSM earlier this year and it has the rubber grommet for the temp probes, so I assume it is a 2014. When I first installed the gasket on the WSM, when I would put the barrel to the base, it was a really tight fit. After a couple uses, it got easier to take apart and put together.

I would look to see if you have any smoke sneaking out around there. If you don't, then you might not need it.

Sorry for the late response. I got my WSM earlier this year and it has the rubber grommet for the temp probes, so I assume it is a 2014. When I first installed the gasket on the WSM, when I would put the barrel to the base, it was a really tight fit. After a couple uses, it got easier to take apart and put together.

I would look to see if you have any smoke sneaking out around there. If you don't, then you might not need it.

Thanks. Just installed the hinge and gasket. Just put the gasket around the top and the door as you suggested. Looking forward to trying them both you.

Let us know how it works out for you. After I sealed mine up, I can close the vents, and my WSM will be extinguished and cool to the touch (well, as cool as SATX gets) within an hour or so...

Speaking of SATX, which side of town you on? I am on the NW side...

Let us know how it works out for you. After I sealed mine up, I can close the vents, and my WSM will be extinguished and cool to the touch (well, as cool as SATX gets) within an hour or so...

Speaking of SATX, which side of town you on? I am on the NW side...

I live out I10W just past Ralph Fair Rd (about 6 miles out from Fiesta Texas).

Back