New Build oops..

Rich Long

Ok, finally got up enough courage to tackle this project last night and think I hosed it up pretty good.. What happened is this.. I for some reason ended up installing the 5v shift regulator and also the Pi connector backwards. Guess everything was going so well that I didn't pay close attention to their position on the PCB. I don't believe the Shift regulator will be to much of an issue to remove and replace by just clipping the legs and unsoldering each pin but the Pi connector will be another story. Any ideas???

I would cut the Pi connector in pieces and remove the pins individually, this will destroy the connector but you'll save the board.

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun but if that's what it'll take, that's what I'll do.. So if I understand correctly, The connector's direction on the PCB is specific to Pi ?? Just looks like the pins are a straight through with no offsets. I know it was a shot in the dark but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

The shift register is gonna have to be removed and replaced in the proper orientation... The rPi connector, however, is just two rows of pins and I see no keyway on the connector I have here, so there should be no orientation on that one? Unless you installed it on the wrong side of the board I think it should be good?

Thanks Ralph. Pretty much knew I was clipping the Shift Register from the get go. No.. their both on the right side - thank god.. - Guess it's a learning thing..

I assumed you put the connector on the wrong side of the PCB, if the connector is on the right side then there is no reason to remove the connector. Just being curious but why did you think the connector was backwards since there is no key as Ralph has already pointed out?

Peter, The Install page - Step 6 - stated "Both of these parts have a notch on one side of them which indicates the direction they need to be placed." Seeing the connector and assuming it was just a pin connector, and really no alignment key that I could see on the Pi, Well I thought I'd better make sure anyway and asked the question.
Though I did a lot of research before attempting this, I figured I have at least one mistake. Oh well, I'm good at demo...

Again, thanks guys.

Oh yeah I thought you meant they were on the wrong side of the PCB too. Yeah the 28 pin atmega socket the orientation doesn't really matter, it is the chip that goes into it that matters. The notch on it is just to let you know which way to put the chip in assuming the socket is put in the right way. If the socket is rotated 180, just ignore the notch and put the chip in the right way.

That's for the socket that holds the Atmega chip, not the female pin header that mates up with the raspberry pi.

Also install the 16 pin shift register (IC3) and the 28 pin DIP socket (IC2) for the microcontroller. Both of these parts have a notch on one side of them which indicates the direction they need to be placed.​

Another bonus is that if you install the atmega socket incorrect, no harm is done as the atmega will still fit into the socket, backwards. The half moon notches at the ends wont lineup, but that's just a visual indicator, nothing else.

Back