Gravy pan or no gravy pan...that is the question.

Ok, I've done a few turkeys on my 18 WSM, one with charcoal, the other two with a turkey fryer burner rigged through the door afterburner style.
They all came out fantastic, high heat, great skin etc.
Doing research for this Thanksgivings bird, having family over, so, of course, I want everything to be perfect.
Usually, one or two days before turkey day, I'll roast some legs, wings, whatever is cheapest, in the oven, get the drippings, then simmer the parts in the pressure cooker for gravy stock.
However, this year I'm thinking about doing a roasting pan under the turkey in the WSM for the gravy base with carrot, celery, onion, and a bit of water.

Question is, what about my crispy skin?
Is it possible with this method?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
My turkey skin is crispy, I smoke my turkey on a turkey stand, over a drip pan to make gravy

157E2541-21B5-4AC9-AE2C-5712CC679062_zpszqqzbl3x.jpg

Try doing a dry brine, and let it set overnight in the fridge. Coat it with some olive oil and throw it in the smoker around 325°. You might have to prop the lid or door open to get the wsm that hot. I'm going to be doing the same thing as well. Good luck.

No water in the pan, makes the skin rubberly. I use clay saucers in my pan for stability and get the 300 you'll want for crispy skin

Your drippings pan is on the bottom shelf. I put the veggies and whatnot that you would stuff your bird with in the drippings pan, and it works out pretty good

I've never had satisfactory results trying to catch the drippings for gravy in the WSM. Everything else about the cook works great but your plan to make stock ahead of time sounds like a winner to me.

I'd say my gravy is almost more of hit as my Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup brined bird. I Put my bird in a roasting pan on a rack and put 375 ML water and 375 ML white wine in the pan. Never had any issues with rubbery skin.

I use the Naked Whiz's Mad Max gravy recipe, it's awesome!

Here's some gravy P@rn for ya

Last edited:
I'm going to try your recipes Larry, hopefully this year.
Great, let me know if you have any questions. Was in SLC last year for T-day with my mother, doing it this year in Vegas, man I had major withdrawals last year eating the catered meal she brought in. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just missed standing in front of my smoker.

Back