Baked Potatos: Not rocket science, here....

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
There's a local joint here that- when they are consistent- has the best baked potatoes. I've built a fuel oil tank/wood fired grill (it's sort of a smoker but I think it's more a direct/indirect cooker) just like the ones they have custom built and I also use hickory, just like they do. I started noticing that I could replicate it on my OTG. About the time I discovered this forum, I started a thread over on Meathead's site. Here's the link: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/potatoes/baked_potatoes.html

I documented my little experiment on his site, if you find it interesting......as usual it's my continued rambling.....

These taters at about 3 hours of 350-400 begin to develop a unique flavor. I'm not doing anything special, just wrapping them in aluminum foil. Some people like this flavor, some people don't. When it reaches this zen, :) I think some salt and butter is all they need to be out of this world.

So, two questions for all of you:

1. Do you foil wrap your taters? I've seen this done all my life and never really thought about doing it any other way.

2. Do you know what I'm talking about when baking taters reach this "zen" of off the charts flavor? Any thoughts on this? Do you like it/not like it? Is there a way to achieve this flavor faster than 2.5-3 hours at 350-400?

I just like to hear y'alls thoughts on this....

No foil.

Don't need nor want to clean them in any way. Get a good (scrap tree branch) fire going in a pit/charcoal grill. Flames die down and just bury the spuds in the coals. Keep the fire going just so theres lots of hot coals. Maybe 45-60-75 minutes, check 'em for doneness.

Slice 'em in half, a little s&p and scoop out the goodness.

If you wrap the russets in foil, you will not pick up any charcoal or smoke flavor if cooking on the grill or smoker. Also, the lovely skins will probably not crisp up for a nice textural difference. (Enter butter here.) I don't think that foiled potatoes get crisp, nor do their interiors get fluffy enough. They need to dry out. Foiled potatoes will essentially be steamed potatoes, even if done in the oven. IMHO, I would never use foil to bake a potato. EVER. I have sent back "baked" potatoes wrapped in foil that have arrived on my plate.

I hope I'm not answering a question that hasn't been asked, but I've been on a soapbox about foiled potatoes for XXX years!

Rita

Hi Jeff,

I don't foil but I'll take your word on it and at least try it your way (you make it sound good). I followed the link to an article I've already seen on ar, but I don't think I see what you're talking about.

I'm with Rita. Foil is going to screw up the skin, which in my opinion is one of the reasons to eat a baked potato. But I get where you're going on the potato itself. There's "not done", "just done" "nirvana" and "over-done". My last "nirvana" potatoes were 90 minutes at 425 degrees over an open gas flame right beside a whole chicken. They were little potatoes, though. That has a big effect on time.

Back