Cast Iron Wok for Weber Gourmet System

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
A few weeks ago, I ordered a Weber Gourmet System with searing grate off Amazon for $59. and free shipping from a third party.
At that time, I put in my Amazon wish list for the Wok that goes with the system.
As I have learned this past year or two, if you add something to your wish list, you will get a notification from Amazon that the article is on sale. That's how I learned of the gourmet system on sale.
Last week, I got a notification in text, I believe, that a cast iron wok was now on sale for $19.99. (I'm a primer, so shipping is always free) When I went to check out the Wok, I was a bit disappointed that it was not the Weber or even the Lodge, I had in my wishlist, but Mr. BAR-B-Q , which I first thought it was Ray Lampe's.
I read the reviews, the current ones were excellent, and the others complained of receiving them either cracked or broke.
Still thinking they were Ray's brand and knowing Amazon as I do, I knew Amazon changed the way they were sent, it wasn't till I accidentally hit " Buy with one click" that I saw the made in China. Being that it was late at night and I was already in bed, I didn't cancel the order like I normally would have..I guess I was just too tired, and that's probably where I thought it was Ray Lampe's, Dr. BBQ brand.
After all said and done, and the box arrived, and opened to check for breakage, I'm very pleased with this Wok! It's very heavy cast iron, and it seasoned up very well, after 3 seasoning trips to the oven for an hour at 500 degrees!
It fits perfectly in the Weber Gourmet system, and believe it or not, it's the best piece of China junk I've ever accidentally purchased!

I've been asking for some Cast Iron and hope it comes through at Christmas. I had narrowed my desires to the Lodge CI at Walmart but it's good to know now there's a good alternative. I'm so looking forward to a nice CI or to make Chilli on the WSM or even the Kettle. There's a recent thread by Tony using a CI wok, will be looking forward to your thread ;)

Chuck, All my cast iron cookware is Lodge.. until this Wok. Believe it or not, I don't see any difference in looks or weight in this China made one, than the Lodge. I know Lodge is made in the USA, but both look and feel just alike. Only difference I see, no Lodge logo on bottom of Mr. BBQ. Makes one wonder..
I have several pieces of Lodge cast iron I have bought from Amazon...in my opinion, Amazon has the best prices on Lodge, and I suppose that would depend on if you were a Prime member or not, because I've never paid shipping, and it's always here in 2 days.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a Weber Gourmet System with searing grate off Amazon for $59. and free shipping from a third party.

It fits perfectly in the Weber Gourmet system, and believe it or not, it's the best piece of China junk I've ever accidentally purchased!
Is this the one that you are talking about http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001QIUGO/tvwb-20
91isvWSscvL._SL1500_.jpg
GREAT to know its fits the Weber Gourmet Set-up so well and for $20 its a no brainer :cool:

Yep, that's the one! It seasoned up so well! The only complaint I have about it, without ever using it yet, it's big and very heavy!

Yep, that's the one! It seasoned up so well! The only complaint I have about it, without ever using it yet, it's big and very heavy!

Mary- Can you provide us an update on how you like the wok? I just ordered one and want to know how it has held up. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

James here is a pick of the wok. It measured 15" by 15" pretty good size! Sorry about the pictures i gotta get a camera! Lol

I picked up the Mr. BBQ brand wok on amazon. It arrived this weekend and I have been seasoning it. I will report back when I cook.

My initial thoughts:
1. Amazon did a very poor job packaging. It comes with a cardboard sleeve around it like in the picture and it was ripped off. The wok was in a box much too big. The empty space was filled with paper but a very heavy piece of cast iron would obviously rattle around in transit.
2. The wok is very heavy. It seems very sturdy.
3. The wok was $19.99 and they quoted me $12 to ship to Dallas, TX! Luckily I was able to bum a friends prime membership and got free shipping.

I had my first cast iron wok cook this weekend. I did the seasoning directions that came on the package 3 times prior to use. I was cooking on the BBQ gourmet system grate on my 22'' kettle. I filled two charcoal pans with lit coals and dumped 4-5 unlit briquettes on top of each pan to keep temp up longer. I placed the wok in and let it preheat for 10 minutes. I added a small amount of oil and let it sit for an additional 5 minutes. I threw in a small piece of bell pepper to see how hot the wok was. I wanted to see if I got a sizzle. annnnddddd I did not get the sizzle. Everyone has been saying you need to cook with the wok on high heat. I grabbed some gloves removed the wok and lit another charcoal chimney to pour around the already lit charcoal pans. After 30 minutes I dumped the new chimney of charcoal in and put the wok back in place. After 10 minutes of heating the wok was screaming hot. I put in cubed chicken and the parts of the chicken hitting the wok were black and crusty almost immediately. I had on a "pit mitt" and my hand was getting hot even with the mitt on trying to stir the chicken. The food turned out ok but next time I need to find a happy medium! The cast iron did a great job staying hot... I have a lot to master but overall the Mr. BBQ wok held up well.

prior to it being crazy hot!

Last edited:
So a follow up to my above post. The first few times I cooked I could not get the wok hot enough with 1 chimney full of lit charcoal. 2 chimneys of lit was way too much. Here is my method that has worked the last few times... I turn my oven to 400 degrees and put the wok in as the oven preheats. Once my wok is in the oven I light 1 chimney full of charcoal. It typically takes 30 minutes to light the whole chimney for me. Once lit i dump in my charcoal pans on the 22' kettle. At that point the oven and wok has heated up to 400 degrees. With an oven mitt and a hot pad I carefully take the wok and put on that grill. A big heavy 400 degree piece of cast iron requires you to be extra careful!

I think 10 even 15 minutes of preheating I tried my first few cooks wouldn't heat the wok up enough. 30 minutes to light charcoal and lets say 30 minutes to heat a wok is a long time to wait to cook... I guess I am impatient and like the oven method! This is my first piece of cast iron and I am starting to build up a nice none stick surface. I don't use the wok a ton but it is a fun accessory.

TommyB, are you using charcoal baskets on each sice of the wok? That's what it looks like in your pic. If so, put your lit charcoal directly under the wok. THis is how I use my cast iron wok and, I feel, I don't have a heat issue. I use my ir thermometer to check wok temp too.

Nate- I have the "mr. BBQ" brand wok. I don't know if you have that wok or a Weber one but when I sit the wok in the gourmet system grate there is not much room between the wok and the charcoal grate. I don't think there is enough rook for much more then 1 single layer of charcoal. I'll pour the charcoal directly on the grate and give it a try.

Back