Charcoal grate handle

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Okay so going to do this mod with U bolts as handles for the charcoal grate. I know stainless is best and galvanized is bad news. What about zinc coated?

Zinc bad news too.
I attached the charcoal ring to the grate with stainless steel zip ties (saw it on this forum) and I am well satisfied with being able to grab the charcoal ring in the holes and lift the grate out.

Galvanizing is accomplished with zinc. If you mean (Di)Chromate - the yellowish coating - , that too is zinc. Raw steel would be OK, too. But SS all they way.

Zinc bad news too.
I attached the charcoal ring to the grate with stainless steel zip ties (saw it on this forum) and I am well satisfied with being able to grab the charcoal ring in the holes and lift the grate out.

I'm not sure about zinc, but I did the same thing. Got some stainless steal wire and twist tied the charcoal ring to the grate. Works very well, cheap and easy.

You can do a sacrificial hot burn-off (without food) and heat Galv or Zinc plated fasteners till cherry red and burn off the plating. You can do the same with a muriatic acid wash, but that's dangerous and all you're left with is raw steel, which you can buy, or go the SS route, which in time will burn off and start to rust like raw steel.
You're call, but IMO I wouldn't worry about a few pieces of small steel. We used to make smokers out of Galv trash cans in boy scouts back in the day and I'm 56.:)

Tim

I've had "galvie flu" whilst cutting grating. Aint fun! Very nauseous. Lots of milk drunk.
Go SS all the way D.

Back