To tie, or not to tie

Rick Rockwell

TVWBB Member
First, I normally go with bone-in butts but availability is not there this time, so I'm going with Costco's boneless butts. In the past when I used bonelesss, I tied them. This time I'm doing 8 butts and would rather save the effort. What are your thought on doing boneless butts without tying?

I've cooked quite a few of the Costco boneless butts and have never tied them and have had grate results. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Agreed, I've never tied boneless either. If you are doing 8 of them together, they will be stacked in there pretty good anyway.

Last edited:
If you can squeeze 8 in without them touching each other, then no need to tie. If they are going to be all over each other, that will affect smoke absorption and bark formation, so you might do better tying them (or at least some of them.)

The butts I've purchased at Costco were around 15 lbs. So I divided them up into 3 pieces & tied them. Got a lot more bark that way & I believe they cooked a bit faster. Could fit 3 on a rack. So if you are doing (8) 15 lb. butts, you probably need several smokers or more!

Thanx for the inputs. I found a local wholesaler who would also sell retail, so have my bone-in butts. I'll keep the advice handy for next time. I see a lot of comments regarding space. I should have noted I'm doing eight 8 pounders using 2 18" WSMs.

Back