Help me find the right sauce for my pulled pork

John_H

TVWBB Member
Sauces that I like are typically in what I call the "middle of the spectrum". I don't care much for the sugary commercial sauces but I don't like mostly vinegar either. I like somewhere in the middle where the sauce is fairly runny but not like water and would like a nice flavor with a little bite. I realize this is a very subjective topics but does anyone have a favorite sauce that they like that would meet this criteria?

I make my own mop

1 cup apple juice
1 cup beer
1 cup brown sugar (give or take)
Juice from one lemon (you may only want to use half a lemon)
A few shakes of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (do not substitute) :)

but the secret to good pulled pork is in the rub, I don't have my ingredients with me, but if you still need them when I get back tonight, I'll post them

Well I recently bought the Killer Hogs BBQ Sauce. It sounds mild to me. Not too sweet. Not to spicy. Not vinegarish too. It could be a good choise. The Open Pit sauce is too vineGarish. The Blues Hog is too sweet and too spicy (very good for me). Sweet Baby Rays is too sweet. And that's all for me.

Well I recently bought the Killer Hogs BBQ Sauce. It sounds mild to me. Not too sweet. Not to spicy. Not vinegarish too. It could be a good choise. The Open Pit sauce is too vineGarish. The Blues Hog is too sweet and too spicy (very good for me). Sweet Baby Rays is too sweet. And that's all for me.

Stubbs Sweet Heat is very good BBQ sauce, I mostly use it on my ribs (Jim Lampe converted me) but it would be good on PP too

You can also cut the commercial sauce with Apple Juice.
OR... Take a little of a commercial sauce and mix it with the pork drippings ;)

Stubbs original is very good. Not too sweet ,nice complex flavor. And I like Bulls eye original too. I think it has a nice smoky tart flavor. Also not too sweet.

I just did a pulled pork for a party and I used 2/3 Stubbs original and 1/3 open pit. Got rave reviews.

Once the pork is pulled - I add a little bit of butter, sprinkle on some additional rub, and toss the meat lightly. The added butter really helps carry the flavor.

I'm assuming your looking to make your own sauce, not pour different bottles of grocery store sauces together.

#5 sauce is a great starting point to come up with your own sauce. You can make it sweeter or more vinegary, spice it up with your favourite hot sauce, make it thin or thick, or just go with the basic recipe.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13616-No-5-Sauce

IMHO, there is only one sauce for pulled pork.........and that is CAROLINA GOLD. A mustard based sauce with vinegar for some bite, yet runny enough to use in a squeeze bottle. You haven't lived if you haven't experienced the magnificance that is CAROLINA GOLD.

This will make you wish that you never tried anything else:

The lazy way:

1 cup yellow mustard
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix, refrigerate for 24 hours, then enjoy.

For those with a more refined taste:

2 cups prepared yellow mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce or you favorite hot sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon powdered rosemary
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix the wet ones, grind up the dry ones and add to the wet ones, refrigerate for 24 hours, get ready for the best experience that bbq has to offer. These sauces need to be kept refrigerated, and will last up to a month.

Blues hog is the only sauce I use. Everyone loves it. I have 4 other people that get a gallon when I order.

I saved that A Cleland, that's very doable (the refined) and I will do it

These are my wife's more explicit instructions:

"1) Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.

2) If you are using a bouillon cube, crush it with a spoon in a bowl or mortar & pestle and add it to the bowl. Crush the rosemary leaves and celery seed in a mortar & pestle or in a blender or coffee grinder and add it to the bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Let it sit for a an hour in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld. No cooking necessary. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a month or more."

Sometimes we just use some chicken stock and omit the bullion cube, but the idea is to get the flavor, so either way works fine. We adjust the ingredients to taste after mixing to get it to our liking. The real secret is the 24 hour wait allowing the flavors to blend together. Hope you enjoy it, and if you don't, it is because as my daddy always told, "you aren't holding your mouth right"........LOL

Dr. up some sweet baby rays like in http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?31133-Fat-Johnny-s-Bastardized-Piedmont-Sauce

Maybe try a little less vinegar than the recipe calls for, if you don't like vinegar sauces.

GOD BLESS YOU DAVE FROM DENVER!! This is the link to the sauce recipe I was looking for myself a few weeks ago, but could not find. Nobody on this board could help either. (Note to self: quickly printing this out and putting shortcut to recipe on my favorites).

As Dave indicated, this recipe is VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY vinegary. Good, but very acidic. I would strongly recommend trying it because it's fabulous, but I would cut the vinegar in 1/2 unless you like a very acidic sauce. Otherwise, it's the best I've ever had.

Thanks!

Bryan S, he of Roadside Chicken fame, posted this for pulled pork.
I've made it several times and think it's great, it doesn't hide the flavor of the pork.

Equal parts butter, chicken stock, and the BBQ sauce you'll be serving with the meat.
Heat on the stove or microwave in a glass measuring cup.
1/4 cup each makes plenty for one butt.
After pulling, sprinkle on some of your rub, then mix in the amount of sauce desired.

Back