Router Question/ CyberQ Wifi

Steph V

TVWBB Member
I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S5 and I"m trying to set up my Cyber Q Wifi and run it off the Galaxy. Would it be advisable to purchase a second wireless router that is separate from my cable and internet setup for the sole purpose of running the Cyber Q (in case I want to take it camping,enter a small local competition etc.)? If so, is there any type of router that anyone would recommend? I"m looking for simplicity and not looking to spend a fortune, but something that will definitely get the job done and can be encrypted. I would keep it plugged in while at home to avoid having to go through this nightmare setup every time I go to cook.....thoughts??

Lew-Thanks. I am having the hardest time making heads or tails of this thing. I think what threw me was somewhere I read that you needed a transportable router in case you were completing in a place with no WiFi connection. Thanks for clearing that up.

Steph, call their tech support they are very helpful with the setup. I spent almost a hour on the phone with them, the tech guy help me walk through all of the small issue that popped up.

Thanks TBowman-Do you happen to know if they can be reached on weekends? Also, once it's setup and mapped to your cellphone, does it automatically link up when you turn it on or do have to go through this process every time you use it?

Tbowman:

I think I might have gotten so excited about the new thermoworks bbq bluetooth thermometer that I overlooked this guru wifi device. I currently have the Guru competitor (old school, from 10 years ago-still works great after a small return to guru for maintenance ) and two digix2s. I really only need two of these devices.

So I purchased the thermoworks (just posted in other thread in other section) and it works great. The only issue people will have is that limited distance with the bluetooth. It works great for me as my night stand is only 30 feet or so away from my smoker. I payed around $270 for the device.
I am wondering what your thoughts are on if I should have gotten the guru wifi. I never thought of it in years past as it looked so complicated to set up. But with the wifi device would I be able to go anywhere in the house? Would I be able to monitor the pit even outside of my home?

If you can let me know your experience with it I would appreciate it!
Thanks

M Striks-I know you weren't directing your comment to me but. I've done some digging and this is what I've been told. You should be able to go anywhere and get email notifications ONCE your router is conversing with your device. You most certainly do need a router in wireless g to set up the network to work in conjunction with your phone unless you have an iPhone that still supports ad hoc mode. Droids do not support ad hoc mode and from what I'm told iPhone's may be eliminating ad hoc mode soon. If you own anything other than a mac product you will need to run the wifi unit in infrastructure mode. It will work fine but you've got to program the configure the router to talk to the device which will send the data to your phone. What I'm trying to figure out now is must it be a g router or will an updated N router work with the unit as well?

You bet! Also, I found out that the N router will work great. You just don't want to go lower than a wireless G Router.

I have a s5 and my buddy had to hook it up. It wasn't fun. It took him a pretty long time. Funny thing is, I've used it two or three times and that's only because I could. The guru is so bad XXX you can trust it.

I have a s5 and my buddy had to hook it up. It wasn't fun. It took him a pretty long time. Funny thing is, I've used it two or three times and that's only because I could. The guru is so bad XXX you can trust it.

Todd-You've stumped me....What is an S5...is that a version of the cyber q? When you say the guru is bad, do you mean terrible, or Bad A (well you know)?

I have a galaxy s5. I went through the pain of hooking it up and never really needed to use it. What ever temp you set the guru, it will go plus or minus 5 degrees of that temp. It's nice to be able to leave for a few hrs and check your meat temps, but I have a pretty good gauge these days on were my temps are vs time

Yea , that's the phone I have as well. I sort of thought that's what you were getting at. When you say guru do you mean cyberq or can you operate a guru off of an S5? I can't wait to get my network hooked up and cranking. Also, Once the network is established, is it pretty pretty straightforward to operate the guru and/or cyberq off of the S5....if you choose to go that route?

Back