Helloooo from NC

KennithBk

Nice forum ya'll have here. I have been reading for a month now. I found the CL score last week for a 22.5" WSM for..........................150.00. It looks brand new. It was a bit dirty when we brought it home but a little awesome and elbow grease it looks like new. We smoked a boston butt this past weekend it turned out good. Man this smoker is a set it and forget it.

Last edited:
Yes I foiled the water pan and filled it up. The highest I could the temp in the meat was 177. I foiled it and it let it rest for an hour before slicing it up. Next time I will use no water and foil the meat and take it to 200 to pull.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group Kennith. Do yourself a favour and quit using a thermometer to tell when your bbq is done. Probe is the only way to tell for certain.

Hey, welcome Kenneth. Another North Carolinian near Pittsboro here who loves his 17" WSM. You may want to look in the Operating Tips and Mods section for simple tips and mods that can help get your temps up and to make use of your WSM more convenient. In general, I agree with Bob, temp is only useful for telling if you may be close to done. For almost everything, more hands-on techniques are better to tell you when you various meats are ready.

Rich

Thanks for the tips all. I used a maverick probe with meat and a grate temp. The meat temp would only get to 177, the pit temp stayed between 230 and 260 for the whole cook. When I smoke on my electric smoker I foil the meat when it reaches 160
and then it normally takes a couple hours to get to 200. I did calibrate the weber thermometer and it is correct but use my maverick for all temps.

Last edited:

Back