Can't make up my mind ... Help Me!

MarkVancamp

I am 60 years old and have been grilling for 40 years. Over that time I have had a menagerie of grills with the latest one being a Charbroil. To be honest with you, I never have liked the Charbroil, it's the most uneven cooking POS I have ever owned. And now, after two years the igniter has shot craps. After a lot of research (and cooking on my little brother's grill) I have decided that my next (and hopefully last) will be a Weber. The problem is that I keep waffling between two models, the Genesis E-310 and the Genesis E-330.

For the last ten years or so I have had side burners but have found them to pretty much be a waste of time to use, perhaps Weber's is different. The sear station intrigues me, but I am not sure how much I would use it. To those that have the E-310, do you ever wish you had bought the E-330? To those that have the E-330, do you feel that the sear station and side burner were worth the extra cost? I suppose I should just spend the bucks for the E-330 and get it over with, but then why pay for something that I am not going to use?

Please Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!

it's $100.... I wish my old grill had it for when I want to just cook outside, in the summer especially.

I have an E320 and love it, but I have never used the side burner, ever. I've also read here on the forum that a few who have the E330 have stated they weren't to impressed with the sear burner. But I can't really say because I don't have it.
I bought mine off of CL and if I was to buy new I'd get the E310.

I use sear burner for steaks and burgers. Would I buy it again, yes. I like having the side burner: roast marshmallows, fry taters, warm anything for dinner, etc. if you find the right deal on a new one or craigslist, losing these features wouldn't be a deal breaker but remember, you'll own a Weber for years, you may change your mind one day...

Couldn't tell you on the newer stuff. My Genesis is now old enough to drink (over 21) ;-) But I will tell you I have side burners on it and on my Summit 450 and LOVE having them. YMMV. Also (please nothing personal here) if I was to buy a brand new grill in as lofty a price range as Weber has become I think I would be looking at other American made products as to be totally honest Weber's quality seems to be "slipping" IMHO. Again others may differ on this opinion but it is my own observation.

You owe it to yourself to consider the EP310 and EP330 as well. They have stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates. I think they are only $50 more.

Thanks people ... and I will check out the EP-310 and 330 ... I know I was the cast iron grates. Current Charbroil has SS grates and I have not been impressed. Got 2 years out of this Charbroil, 5 the one before it ... if I had bought a Weber seven years ago I would be money ahead today. It's crazy when I really think about it, the thought of dropping $1000 on a rifle and $500 on a scope to use once or twice a year doesn't seem bother me. But the thought of dropping $1000 for something I will use all year round freaks me out. Put in that perspective the Genesis 330 is a no brainer.

I bought the EP-330 natural gas last year and it's fantastic! I use the side burner only occasionally, but I'm glad it's there.

Here's my take on the side burner dilemma, not that it matters, but my thoughts are, I have 3 gasser's all of them have side burners. Granted, I've never used them, but I know I have them in case of emergency. I was born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, where we were taught to be earth quake conscious and in case of disaster, be able to hold our own for a week or so, before power and water was restored.
Since moving to Oregon many years ago, Oregon is now preaching about " The Big One" coming, and since I live on the Willamette river front, I have a endless water supply, which I would not drink without boiling it and or filtering it for filth.
So with my gasser's with side burners, I will have a way to boil water and such if disaster or even foul weather decides to
take out my electricity. I also have a couple of power packs, to keep my freezers going in case of a few day power failure.
So, I suppose it depends on which part of the country you live in, if you prepare for natural disasters or foul weather taking your electricity or not.

I'm sure the 7mm 304 stainless rod grates on the EP are way better than what came on your Charbroil.

Oh Mary, I didn't know you were one of those California transplant Oregonians. My brother's girlfriend is from Oregon and she complains about all the California people who move up there and bring the California culture with them. We'll have to keep an eye on you.

Oh Mary, I didn't know you were one of those California transplant Oregonians. My brother's girlfriend is from Oregon and she complains about all the California people who move up there and bring the California culture with them. We'll have to keep an eye on you.[/QUOTE]

Greg, LOL! I've spent all of my adult life here in Oregon, except for a few years stint living on a float log camp in South East Alaska. After all these years of being a Oregonian, I still think like a Californian, and probably always will. San Francisco is still "home" in my heart, and I visit once or twice a year, as I have a daughter and grandkids living by Modesto, I just can't hang there for more than a week or so...it's just too fast paced and crazy for me anymore.

I like the way you think Mary. Good luck and good grilling.

Bill, I'm sure you have taken notice just how quick our government is to respond to natural disasters these past few years, starting with Hurricane Katrina, and the ones that have followed, including the land slides, etc. etc. That said, I worked for them for 27 years, and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them!!
If you don't look after yourself and your's, you're not gonna make it in times of chaos and mayhem.
If I'm not mistaken, the government (FEMA) in the past couple of years has changed the time you should have emergency provisions from 3 days to 3 weeks when expected times for help to come.
Living in a area along a big river with one way in and same way out, I also have a big raft to get me and the dog and 3 cats outta here if need be.

If I may add my two cents, I'd put it in an economic point of view.
However your Weber will last forever, let's calculate with 20 years. If you have to pay $100 more for the side burner version it means you pay less than 50c per month. Ok I didn't care with the future value of the money (the interests) but it won't be more than $1 per month.
Is it worth it? You have to decide... :)

Well ... I dropped the big dollars today on the Genesis E-310. I have never had a sear station and don't really see the need. I have had side burners for years and have never used them. So instead of spending the extra $100 for the E-330 I added another $100 to that $100 and bought a Smoker. Never had a smoker before, this ought to be interesting. I appreciate all of the input, and wanted to follow up and let you know that I decided. Thanks Bunches!

They're nice grills but for $50 more you could have gotten SS internals. It won't be long you'll be dropping that much or more on new flavorizer bars whereas the SS ones pretty much last for life. My sister and BIL have an E310. I have done some cooks on it at their house. Does a decent job but leaves me a little "flat" on it's performance. Enjoy!

I'm 55 and I plan to retire 12/31/20. For Christmas 2020 I'm getting the E330 (Retirement/Christmas present) unless Weber comes out with something better between now and then

The E310 is nice but the E330 leaves nothing to desire

Find the EP version than you'll have SS flavorizer bars. You'll spend far more than the price difference just replacing the FB's when they rust away on the E version

Back