What books to read??

DanCT

The order has been placed for my WSM. I need to start learning how to smoke safely and effectively. What books should I buy or find at the library?

Dan

It's sort of like The Book of Life, we learn by doing, trial and error, always improving. What will your first cook be Dan?

It's sort of like The Book of Life, we learn by doing, trial and error, always improving. What will your first cook be Dan?

While true, there are many things you can learn from masters of a craft. I plan to start simply, probably chicken or salmon. the imputes for buying it now is to have it in time for thanksgiving.

While true, there are many things you can learn from masters of a craft. I plan to start simply, probably chicken or salmon. the imputes for buying it now is to have it in time for thanksgiving.

As John said, everything you need to know is on this site. I agree with Bob that you have to learn by doing. Back to what John said, look at this site and you will find where Chris has provided discussions with some of the best (masters of the craft if you will). They are in the forum section under Q&A Sessions. Start with Harry Soo. Then, as far as Thanksgiving is concerned, look at the forum titled Turkey Talk under Seasonal Discussions. That's as good as it gets when it comes to doing a turkey on the WSM.

In terms of getting to know your WSM and just in general how to cook various meats, read the section titled Cooking Topics. That section is not in the forum. Here's a link: http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html. In that sections Chris has some beginners cooks that will help you get started and then there is a number of cooks for each of the various meats. Chris does a great job of detailing out each cook.

If after that, you still need a book, I'm guessing you just like to read. :)

Charcuterie by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman is a great book. But the simple stuff is easy to get off the Interwebs. Amazingribs.com and this site are two great sources. Also try cookshack.com and they have a ton of smoker recipes.

I understand what you're saying about the books but honestly this site and Amzaingribs.com are my go to sites. Jerry N is right, check out the beginner cooks as they are helpful and give you something to follow in the beginning. Have fun and enjoy!

Amazingribs.com is where I learned a LOT (shoot Meathead even has a suggested books section) and I recently found this site- yeah, I live in under a rock. I understand the sentiment, though. If you just pick up one thing from each place/ book then it makes you that much better. I added quite a few books to my Christmas list!

I own several BBQ books but most are not BBQ 101 type books. Most assume you know how to use your rig and just give recipes. I agree with everyone saying read this website and ask questions as you go. By picking the WSM you have a lot of die hard weber folks able to give info over the internet.

How to grill by Steven Raichlen is a very good book to have. It's full of info from prep to recipes. You can't go wrong having the book around

Like many have said and Jerry N. pretty much nailed it all you need to know is here or on the web. With that said I have all the Weber cook books and have cooked up some great recipes from those books. But what I've learned here and on the Web for everything you want to know from grilling to BBQ there are many different opinions on how to accomplish any one goal. You try a few and pick what works for you.
Got a question, just ask, nobody bites here.
Oh, welcome to the forum Dan.

Back