Texas > Taylor: Louis Mueller Barbecue

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I wound up going to Austin this last weekend to see family. I had every intention of going to either La Barbecue or John Mueller Meat Co. Well it was pouring rain and neither the wife nor I felt like standing in it. So I looked at a a map and realized that less then 40 miles away was Louis Mueller BBQ.

The place opens at 10 am on saturday and maybe it was due to the weather but there was no line. I knew I was in for a treat when we walked up to the counter and were given a sample of the brisket. I bit into it and my whole face just lit up and the lady behind the counter laughed. This was an amazing bite of brisket cut from the lean no less. They leave quite a bit of the fat cap on the brisket at Louis Mueller, but let me tell you, that fat is absolutely delicious.

Having read plenty of Texas Monthly BBQ editor Daniel Vaughn's review's about brisket, I knew he sometimes used the term "sugar cookie" to describe the taste of this fat. For the first time I know what he means. The fat has a sweet buttery taste that is almost indescribable. I ordered a pound of brisket, a link of the regular beef sausage and the chipoltle beef sausage. I understand the beef ribs are amazing here but they'd have to wait for another day.

Here's a pic of my "plate".

The sausage was all beef and smokey and juicy with a nice bite of black pepper. It is probably the best sausage I've ever had. I'm not sure after this why people even bother putting pork in sausage!
I honestly couldn't tell much difference with the chipolte sausage, it was just amazing too.

Me in meat heaven!

Those windows are covered in soot from years of smoked meat. I'm pretty sure that's what the stained glass windows look like in heaven!

All in all this was a great experience. The brisket is probably some of the best I've ever had. It's very close to Franklin and Pecan Lodge in quality and better in some ways. Best of all no 4 hour wait!

Last edited:
Wasn't there a dust up in the family where they all went separate ways and opened BBQ joints? Seems like I remember that from somewhere.

I think that's mostly the Schmidt family. There was a dust up where John Mueller was fired by his sister and he opened his own place she renamed it to La Barbecue.

Great read! I need to check out John Mueller's new place. I had read up on some stuff just after I posted that. My next bbq trip will probably be to Lockhart, tx. I had intended to go to La Barbeque. It's John Mueller's old place and the pitmaster there is John Lewis who used to work for Franklin. The whole thing gets confusing.

Back