Brined, Rubbed, Smoked Nekked Gobbler

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Flavor brined this bird, skinned it, put my Cajun dust on it now it's smoking with cherry. Left skin on the wings and tied them to the body but left the legs lay out. Cooking at 275ºF on my Big Steel Keg, it'll be done in a couple hours. This turkey has bark.

20141013_131809_zpsoizzkmay.jpg

20141012_235349_zpszafojmvj.jpg

It was very good, cooked for 3.5 hours at 275ºF. I actually skinned it before brine. I invented this about 7 years ago ... not done one for perhaps 4 years now.

I found that I loved smoked turkey but always tossed the skin ... and any smoke and seasoning with it. So the idea came to skin it before smoking.

When I skinned it I threw the skin and the neck in the freezer then into the stock pot with the carcass tonight.

Brine base recipe was awesome, *salt level was perfect. I'll use it again:

2 US gallon water
270g salt
1t pink salt

Submerge bird 12-14 hours. I did a 15lb bird for 12 hours.

I took a small amount of water and simmered with my spices (use 3-4 times the spice you would use if seasoning the same amount of broth) and added the salt to it while it was warm. Meanwhile the rest of the water was getting chilled in the fridge. Add the turkey when the brine is below 40ºF.

Remove from brine dry thoroughly with paper towel. Rub down with oil, apply rub.

Done
20141013_155126_zpsk8vfvbmp.jpg

Dark meat:

White Meat:

Platter, bad light:

Had some Spam and fresh kraut with it, hashbrown casserole, ceaser salad and fresh cranberry sauce:

Thanks for looking.

Skinned turkey is pretty clever. Doing so, you don't have to worry about getting the skin right :)

Got me jonesing for a turkey cook now! Great to see someone else removes the breast and slices like I do . . . or I do it like you do. Great presentation, can't tell you how many people comment on carving that way.

Back