Santa Maria Style WSM

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have this dream of coming up with an adjustable grill system for a WSM. I think making the firebox slide might work best. Possibly a worm driven handle like the old Big Boys had? Does anyone else have any interest in something like this? Just think how nicely you could grill on one. A regular kettle just doesn't have the room for a mod like this that a WSM does. That Grilled Chicken post by Chris is an example of the type of food we could do on a regular basis. No more switching from WSM to Kettle. This could revolutionize the way WSM's are used. I'm looking forward to hearing your input and maybe someone could even come up come up with a rendering. ;)

Shaun, what about using a rotisserie ring setup. Could mod the skewer with some wire rope to hang the grate from and run it up and down. Would have to remove the grate and water bowl supports though, they would be in the way. If the roti motor could be modded or replaced to run in both directions would be perfect. Interesting idea!

Those are great ideas! I'm thinking something where the firebox raises and lowers like a Hasty Bake and the lid can still be used. Another idea I have is the long handles you squeeze inward when you want to lower the firebox like Charbroil uses on their box style grills. I would probably have to add some kind of bolts on the inside straps to give it a place to grab though. Alas, I torment myself with every new idea. :(

I came up with another idea. If I was to add a couple notches in the top grate I could just grab the grate by the handles, twist, slide in either direction to raise and lower and then twist back into place at the desired height. Next I plan to start fabbing an old grate to see how it will work.

Other than it being cool (and it's very cool), what would something like this be used for compared to building the right size coal bed and pushing coals around a little to regulate the heat?

Other than it being cool (and it's very cool), what would something like this be used for compared to building the right size coal bed and pushing coals around a little to regulate the heat?

Good Question, it helps that you can raise the grid to slow down the cook and lower it to speed it up while maintaining a good fire. You can also load the whole grill up without doing the "Heat Zone Tango" ;)

I've been thinking about doing something like this with a built-in outdoor kitchen. Has anyone cooked like this regularly? I'm thinking it would take a bit of practice to get everything right as you would be adjusting to doing an uncovered cook.

Thoughts?

Back