My build

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I'm sure this is as exciting as "My first pork butt" in the BBQ forum, but it's new to me!

:)

I'll probably ask for a little assistance but I'm done for tonight.... I started at 8:53pm, it is now 1:37am. I decided to have a drink around 10:30 or so, and that escalated quickly :)

I used about 7' of solder which surprised me... Everything went well and was straight forward, and I made no visible mistakes other than misplacing one cap on one of the boards but that was quickly straightened out.

One thing that's holding me back is it only came with two of the 2.5mm audio jacks (pit probe jacks, I think), only 1 per kit- they're so cheap might as well update the kit to have 3 per, IMHO anyway. I'll check out radio shack tomorrow to see I guess, otherwise I'll be ordering more.

More reading tomorrow, hopefully.

I was happy to make so much progress tonight, and I'm really excited to see the rest of this come together. I am questioning Brian M's sanity at this point :) I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far, the instructions, and my experience.

10645177_10202924519535899_4250355645343379878_n.jpg

10485303_10202924519055887_2979175734483286248_n.jpg

Weeooo! Two at a time. Radio Shack doesn't carry the proje jacks, but if you don't want to spend the wicked shipping costs from Digikey I can ship you some from my stock at 85 cents each + $2 shipping. Just PM me if you're interested and we can exchange info.

I kept thinking of all the people I'd like to give one to (just 2-3 friends) and wish I'd have made 3 or 4. I may do another batch depending on how the rest goes.....

I may do the thermocouples instead...... I just pulled out a probe from my junk drawer in the kitchen that fits, so I really don't know the difference between these probes & thermocouples. I have to (want to) work for an hour, do my thing, then help a friend on his house (roof/network/sound)..... if everything goes well I can read up on it some more late this afternoon/evening.

***Bryan, I'll take you up on that - sending PM

....difficulty with the PM, didn't show in my 'sent' folder, here's what I wrote:

Hi & thanks so far :)

I don't want to be a bother *yet* especially since I might need help down the road.

I'm still not sure the differences or what it'd take to go with the thermocouple probes, I also seem to remember reading about an ambient temperature sensor that's just soldered to the board.

I kind of jumped into this ((((splash))))

:)

Last edited:
Hey a Spyderco! You've got some nice tools there!

Don't everyone run out and buy a Weller 51, the blackjack BK3000LF is a whole lot better.....comes up to temp within 10 seconds and it just works - we've one since 3/2013. Love the spydercos for the last 15+ years, but I also enjoy OTF knives (not legal everywhere).

They're both working, so far....without the pit probes anyway.....

10700181_10202933730686172_916330350411982879_o.jpg

Don't everyone run out and buy a Weller 51, the blackjack BK3000LF is a whole lot better.....comes up to temp within 10 seconds and it just works - we've one since 3/2013
I have the WESD 51 and would have to agree... Its reliable and works, but I wouldn't buy it again. Theres better value irons to be had.

Love the spydercos for the last 15+ years, but I also enjoy OTF knives (not legal everywhere).
I've got 3 spydercos (which are great) but my current EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Grip 555HG (w/spydie hole of course! :D )

I've had a Red Troodon on my wishlist forever, but its always sold out. :(

It should work fine, provided it's got the same Steinhart–Hart values, otherwise the reported temps will be off.

the only difference in the PN is the last 3 digits - "FBO" & GBO, and in this sheet that digit is replaced with an *, so it looks like they're the same........ I'll order it in the morning unless someone knows it won't work. If it doesn't work I'll post that too :)

http://www.vishay.com/docs/29048/ntcle203.pdf

***is there any reason to NOT install the ambient sensor?

Last edited:
.....not entirely sure about using a thermistor for ambient.... seems a carefully placed probe might be just as useful.

10668948_10202946025473534_4396487746845819742_o.jpg

yeah, I have built them with the ambient sensor for a while now and, I too wonder why, lol. Its always way off. Better just to plug in a probe and hang it near by the smoker if you want to know ambient temp

Yup, that's why they're no longer part of the standard mouser cart. It's impossible to get an accurate reading inside the case with all the heat the Pi generates, and switching the coefficients around is a hassle.

I forgot to order the thermistor from mouser and didn't want to pay $12 shipping for one part so i bought 20 off ebay for
$2 and i have 19 left. You never know i could build 19 more of these. I have done 4 so far :)

Back