Big Daddy's Chili (Lots of pictures)

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
Unlike Cincinnati here in Y-town Chili isn't that big if a thing, but this time of year screams for it.
I've done this recipe quite a few times, but never on the Performer.
I figure if it's able to be cooked on the stove it's able to be cooked on the Performer. So I gathered all the ingredients and headed outside.
ry%3D480

As the Charcoal heated I chopped the onion green peppers along with a boat load of garlic.
Now that the coals are hot I warmed up the Dutch Oven
ry%3D480

I rendered some bacon, and then it was time for the Italian sausage.
ry%3D480

Time for some 90% ground meat.
ry%3D480

I turned the heat on high by moving the two charcoal baskets together.
ry%3D480

Time for the onions and garlic. Moving the baskets together was a good idea. The mix is cooking much better now.
ry%3D480

The onions and garlic had a few minutes to cook and now it's time for all the spices.
ry%3D400

What's a good chili without a good beer? As soon as the spices were stirred in I added a bottle of October Fest beer.
ry%3D400

I waited till now to add the green peppers because I don't like my peppers cooking down to pudding.
Now it's off the coals and left alone with some Alder wood for that light smoke flavor. I moved the baskets so the Dutch oven is all the way off the fire.
ry%3D480

I let everything simmer for 3 hours at 350 and when it was all said and done this was the best chili I've ever had.
ry%3D400

Looks really good! I've been trying to figure out how to infuse a little smoke in to my chili. I was thinking of smoking the hamburger first but I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing.

Bill I've had way to much tonight, but I think there's a little left.

Jeff I'm over the top happy with the smoke flavor. I was going to use apple, but remembered I had an unopened bag of Alder. It is perfect for light smoke.

Nice looking chili! I've used chunks of pork butt in my chili before, and it was fantastic!

Thanks everyone. Honestly the bacon brings a lot of flavor to the dish.
I usually sit back and think about what I could do to make something better, but last night I couldn't think of a thing that I would change.

That looks great! I've done chili on my performer with a little hickory smoke and what a difference over the stove top.

It is that time of the year for chilli...yours looks super good! If you have not tried it left over Brisket is wonderful in chilli!! Pulled smoked beef is good too....sometimes in a pinch I will smoke the Italian sausage before adding to the chilli...all will give Ya a great smoke accent flavor!

Nice work...

That is one fantastic pot of chili, just send a bowl and I'll be a happy camper for sure!!

Fantastic looking pot of chili!!! Can't wait for it to cool down here so I can make a big pot of it and enjoy me a bowl!!!!

That's a nice looking chili. Will have to take the idea and make on Performer for some smoke flavoring!

Inspiring cook. Good excuse to get a CI DO like that. Where did you get that cart/island thingy?

Inspiring cook. Good excuse to get a CI DO like that. Where did you get that cart/island thingy?
My Mother In Law gave me that and a full set of CI skillets for a wedding present. We have a few other skillets, but I only use the CI.

Back