Wind shield

JLazar

For those of you who have built wind shields for use in cold/windy weather. How tall is your shield? Does it need to be taller than the WSM? Is it effective if it only comes up to where the lid goes on the middle section? I am asking because I have some dog fencing that I was thinking of covering with some type of material. But the fencing is not as tall as the WSM.

I used a standard 4x8 half inch plywood, one side smooth, cut in half, two hinges, paint job and some rope handles to lug it around, works well, secure one end and move the other side to suit your conditions.

WSM Smoker Jacket from BBQ guru

I have the smoker jacket made by BBQ guru. At about $100 for the 18.5", it's not cheap, but it does work well!

http://http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/18.5%22%20%20WSM%20Smoker%20Jacket

I used it in. BBQ compitition and we had heavy rain and wind up to 40 mph at 50 deg F. With this jacket on, my weber temps remained stable through the night. I have also used it on days in the low 30's with no problem. All though I haven't used it at temperatures and weather that would be considered extreme, I Have yet to find its limits.

I think you'll find that cold weather won't really bother your WSM, but windy weather will! I use my WSM more in below freezing weather than I do above freezing weather with no problems controlling the heat and no excessive use of charcoal, but wind is a whole different animal. I ended up putting my 18.5 on a large wheeled planter stand so I can move it around easily. I just roll it to one side or the other of my garage to get it out of the wind and it works great.

I see you are in SATX. I went through Norethern Tool and got a welders blanket and 4 or 5 clamps to pinch it closed. Spent about $40-50 for all. Haven't had the need for it yet, but I just got my WSM in February, so haven't really had a need yet. Winters coming... (Those two weeks we get here.)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=welder+blanket

2505 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78230
(210) 344-4294

Thanks. The smaller one looks good for the 18.5 and about the same price or cheaper than trying to buy materials and build a shield. I will check into it. John

I got some fireproof water heater blanket material at Lowes, rolls right up and I have it for both the 22.5 and the 14.5 oh and the mini

P1190116_zps561a224e.jpg

That actually might be better than the welders blanket. The blanket is made of fiberglass, so you need to wear gloves when handling it. Don't ask how I know...

BTW, did you know that you can use packing or duct tape to remove fiberglass splinters?

That actually might be better than the welders blanket. The blanket is made of fiberglass, so you need to wear gloves when handling it. Don't ask how I know...

BTW, did you know that you can use packing or duct tape to remove fiberglass splinters?

Color me confused :confused: But why wrap your WSM with anything that is made of unsealed fiberglass ? If it can get on your hands than chances are it can get on your food also.

Tim

I have had the water heater "blanket" up against the WSM touching it when it was running 325 no problem no melting

Color me confused :confused: But why wrap your WSM with anything that is made of unsealed fiberglass ? If it can get on your hands than chances are it can get on your food also.

Tim

Tim, This is the first time I have had to use something to insulate my WSM and I got this suggestion from either here or one of the other couple BBQ sites I belong to. I didn't know the welders blanket was made of unsealed fiberglass, or I would have worn gloves the first time. I gather since it is outside, the chance of getting the glass inside is slim, but you do make me wonder if I want a different solution...

Terry, I use them at work and I know what can happen when handling bare handed.
I personally wouldn't use one because the fibers are air-borne when handled and can go anywhere.
Oh, and BTW, some old nylons or pantyhose does wonders for removing FG, ( just rub one way) :)
Tim

Last edited:
Years ago I send Harry Soo an email and he said he used a welding blanket held on with clips. I've yet to need one here in N AL but I just wondered how one of the pros does it.

I have some side curtains on my Dallas Cowboy Blue EZ Up that do a pretty good job at blocking wind.

Last edited:
Years ago I send Harry Soo an email and he said he used a welding blanket held on with clips. I've yet to need one here in N AL but I just wondered how one of the pros does it.

So Dwain, would You use one (if when handling), fiberglass can get on your skin?

Tim

Back