Assign Pit probe

Ron Webb

TVWBB Member
Hi there,

Is it possible to assign a probe (other than Probe 0) to be the Pit Probe? I have a thermocouple probe mounted thru the side wall of my smoker but wanted to try an ET-73 (or 732) on the middle of the grid.

Thanks as ever.

You can recompile the source I think to set a different probe to be the control probe, but no there is no configuration for it because then I'd have to write UI for it. Also the home page would be weird because the probes stay in their same positions and the PID internals would be wrong, etc etc etc.

Thanks for the response Bryan. Too much trouble for what it's worth so I'll be sticking with the thermocouple!

I did this last week as i didn't have a thermocouple, but wanted to play around with the HM. I think I just swapped the pin assignments in hmcore.h, compiled in the arduino ide and uploaded via the web flash page.

That's one way to do it. The other way is to change this line in setup

I think I tried that and ended up doing it the other way since LCD & web page didn't display the probe as "Pit". I could be be wrong though... :confused:

Anywho, this is useful info if your thermocouple ever craps out and you don't have a backup on hand!

For those interested, heres where I made the change: Lines 21-24
Code:
// Analog Pins
// Number in the comment is physical pin on ATMega328
#define PIN_PIT     5       // 28
#define PIN_FOOD1   4       // 27
#define PIN_FOOD2   3       // 26
#define PIN_AMB     2       // 25

This would be really useful in the Configuration UI. like John notes above if your thermocouple dies you can just switch to another probe port... That and i assumed this was possible and don't have a thermocouple to do my first test run this weekend. :(

Anyone able to help me? How do i change the lines to run pit off probe 1 and flash to the HM?

Back