What is the best Weber to restore?

DaveLong

TVWBB Member
I am considering store another grill.
My goals are simple: 1) Good and long lasting grill 2) It must be tall enough to cook Beer can chicken stand up and 20lbs turkey laying down. 3) 3 Burners 4) Must be easy to find part

Any suggestion?

IMHO, an older Weber Genesis. They are built for the long haul. In fact, I just purchased a 17 year old restored Genesis 1000 from a member here and I refurbed my 2004 Gold C last year. Both are great machines that will do what you are looking for.

I'd say your best bet for factory supplied parts is to find one made after 2001. You can still get the main working parts of an older Genesis like burners, grates, etc. straight from Weber and at some various online retailers. However, you can get a better selection of frame and detail parts like knobs, trays, tank scales and such for the post 2001 units. For example, I was able to procure an upper frame and lower tray panel for my 2004 Genesis Gold C direct from Weber with no issue. You may not have the same luck with an older Genesis like the 1000. Don't forget, with the older units, there is usually a good selection of used ones on Craiglist that can be used to rob parts from if need be as well.

Here's a pic of the 1000 and the Gold C. The 17 year old 1000 is the red one. These two will be good for another 20 years with some regular maintenance.

20141003_174024.jpg

20140810_115406.jpg

Last edited:
I've restored a few older Genesis 1000-3000s and Silver B & Cs. Easy to work on and parts are easy to get from Weber and online sources. Upgrades such as grates and flavorizer bars are also readily available.

The newer ones are nice but parts can be really pricey.

Any of the earlier ones should fit your requirements as they cook very well.

Thanks folks. I though they are different height inside. I know Weber silver A isn't tall enough for beer can chicken stand up position.

Thanks folks. I though they are different height inside. I know Weber silver A isn't tall enough for beer can chicken stand up position.

The Silver A is also only a 2 burner, which violates condition 3 of your list.

Decoding Genesis Grills

A = 2 burner
B = 3 burner
C = 3 burner with a side burner as well

Silver = Colored porcelain lid
Gold = Stainless steel lid
Platinum = Stainless steel lid and shelves.

You're kind of hung up on the beer can thing. Frankly IMO it's a waste of time and good beer. Bottom line you cannot get the liquid hot enough to actually do anything. bottom line you wanna make spectacular chicken? Learn how to do things like spatchcock, rotisserie, and such. Both techniques will give you a MUCH more flavorful bird, less work and mess and delightful crispy skin so you can die happily of schmaltz poisoning. I have a slew of the beer butt devices people gave me. Useless IMHO

^^^ What he said. If you brine & rotisserie a chicken, you won't want one any other way. The beer-can-thing was a fad, but if you actually look into it, it's useless.

IMHO, an older Weber Genesis. They are built for the long haul. In fact, I just purchased a 17 year old restored Genesis 1000 from a member here and I refurbed my 2004 Gold C last year. Both are great machines that will do what you are looking for.

I'd say your best bet for factory supplied parts is to find one made after 2001. You can still get the main working parts of an older Genesis like burners, grates, etc. straight from Weber and at some various online retailers. However, you can get a better selection of frame and detail parts like knobs, trays, tank scales and such for the post 2001 units. For example, I was able to procure an upper frame and lower tray panel for my 2004 Genesis Gold C direct from Weber with no issue. You may not have the same luck with an older Genesis like the 1000. Don't forget, with the older units, there is usually a good selection of used ones on Craiglist that can be used to rob parts from if need be as well.

Here's a pic of the 1000 and the Gold C. The 17 year old 1000 is the red one. These two will be good for another 20 years with some regular maintenance.

20141003_174024.jpg

20140810_115406.jpg

Chris,
I now own 2 Weber grills that look like your. The stainless steel Weber Genesis Gold C manufacture in 2003 and redhead Weber 1100. The Gold being used a few times, but the redhead 1100 need restore.

Chris, I have the same Gold C and looking at your picture reminds me I have to clean it! I bought it new and love it even though it is now a backup to my Performer. I will never part with it. In my opinion it is a great grill and if the OP can find one to restore he wont be going wrong!

Chris,
I now own 2 Weber grills that look like your. The stainless steel Weber Genesis Gold C manufacture in 2003 and redhead Weber 1100. The Gold being used a few times, but the redhead 1100 need restore.

Congrats! You're really going to love that old redhead. It heats up a little slower than the Gold C because of the 13 flavorizer bars. But, once it's hot they actually cook pretty much identical. I actually find the porcelain lid of the 1000 easier to keep clean. The stainless requires some work. A microfiber cloth, some Windex, and a Mr. Clean magic eraser will be your new best friends... Your 2003 has a wire rack at the bottom, correct? If so you're lucky because the solid tray on the 04 and up holds water an rusts out. I already had the replacement tray replaced under warranty after a year. They rust in the corners.

Chris, I have the same Gold C and looking at your picture reminds me I have to clean it! I bought it new and love it even though it is now a backup to my Performer. I will never part with it. In my opinion it is a great grill and if the OP can find one to restore he wont be going wrong!

I was slacking on the cleaning too.. But after I refurbed mine, I really appreciated how nice a grill she is and I make more of an effort to keep it clean. Love that grill!

Congrats! You're really going to love that old redhead. It heats up a little slower than the Gold C because of the 13 flavorizer bars. But, once it's hot they actually cook pretty much identical. I actually find the porcelain lid of the 1000 easier to keep clean. The stainless requires some work. A microfiber cloth, some Windex, and a Mr. Clean magic eraser will be your new best friends... Your 2003 has a wire rack at the bottom, correct? If so you're lucky because the solid tray on the 04 and up holds water an rusts out. I already had the replacement tray replaced under warranty after a year. They rust in the corners.

I was slacking on the cleaning too.. But after I refurbed mine, I really appreciated how nice a grill she is and I make more of an effort to keep it clean. Love that grill!

Yes, the 2003 has wire rack down at bottom.

If you enjoy pizza, this is the ticket to keep inside grill clean. I couldn't get my stainless steel grate really clean in some area, but the high heat clean up nicely after cooking pizza for the kids.

Reviving this old thread-

I just picked up a 2005 Platinum C last week from CL for 75 bucks. The issue is the solid accessory panel down below is totally rusted out. Because the platinum has the side walls and doors on the front, can I swap the rusted out panel for the rack? Or will i need to remove the doors/side walls?
The Weber part number for the wire rack is: 97241
Thanks for any input!

Reviving this old thread-

I just picked up a 2005 Platinum C last week from CL for 75 bucks. The issue is the solid accessory panel down below is totally rusted out. Because the platinum has the side walls and doors on the front, can I swap the rusted out panel for the rack? Or will i need to remove the doors/side walls?
The Weber part number for the wire rack is: 97241
Thanks for any input!

The wire rack will work but will not work with the doors without some mods. Side and back are not impacted. I had the same issue on my remote and I fabricated a shelf from cedar fence slats and aluminum angle iron.

Back