Heatermeter troubleshooting

PatM

Hi all. I am in the middle of troubleshooting my heatermeter build. It will power on when plugged directly into the Pi, but I get nothing at all when plugging it into the wall outlet. In reading voltages with a multimeter, I can only get the voltages that register 12v. None of the other voltages show up at all. I am following the diagram here:
hm-424.png

I am not great at reading circuit boards obviously, so I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction for something to resolder? Thanks!

PatM, I’m just surprised by Peter’s reply, he pin pointed the problem precisely. That requires deep understanding of the circuit. It’s usually a grounding issue that proves to the root cause of such an issue. Anyways, the circuit you have designed is very professional one and the protection provided for short-circuiting and other power issues if fairly good as well. I bid you farewell in all your future endeavours.

electronics assembly

Last edited:
All credit for the design of the circuit goes to Bryan Mayland. Thanks to him, many of us have had a fun project and enjoyed the peace of mind knowing that our cooks will be done at a stable temperature. I used mine for the first time last weekend and it worked like a charm!

All credit for the design of the circuit goes to Bryan Mayland. Thanks to him, many of us have had a fun project and enjoyed the peace of mind knowing that our cooks will be done at a stable temperature. I used mine for the first time last weekend and it worked like a charm!

Although, I give Bryan Mayland all of the credit for continuous development of the RPI version of the heatermeter and all the programming, some credit has to go to Ed Pinnell. For those that don't know that name he was around around at the beginning.
I think he was the electronics side of the design and Bryan was the programming side of the first versions. Bryan took the heatermeter in a new direction and design and its evolved into Bryan's creation. I could be wrong on some of the details. Bryan if I'm wrong about Ed, then please let me know its been years(2010) or so.

Thanks for the correction. I'm new to all of this. Glad there are people out that share their knowledge with the community where everyone can benefit.

Thanks for the correction. I'm new to all of this. Glad there are people out that share their knowledge with the community where everyone can benefit.

And while we are at it, lol. I built the first circuit board, using a inkjet and laser printer. It would have worked except, somebody forgot to add an component on a schematic, cough... cough...Byran or Ed, can't remember whom.

But, your right, Bryan deserve all the credit for what we have now. In no way was I trying take credit from him. I just think Ed deserves some at the beginning, I have not seen him in years though.

Back