Cured Pork Butt

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I used Shooters’ Dry Cure Recipe to start a cure on a piece of pork butt. See you in 10 daze!

Cure Mix:

1 TBS Morton’s Tender Quick per pound of trimmed meat
1 tsp Raw Sugar per pound of meat

Mix and combine well with the above cure. Remember that all must be used on each cut to ensure the proper and safe amount of cure. If multiple meat cuts are used it must be mixed for each individual cut.

Spice Mix:

Mix the following per pound of trimmed meat.

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Basil dried
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
1 tsp Course Black Pepper

Rub meat well with mixture and place in zip lock bag. Any remaining rub left behind should be scraped into bag. Place bag in refrigerator turning bag over daily. The temperature of your refrigerator should be below 40 degrees but above 33 degrees. The meat will feel firm when cured. Remove meat from bag after curing, rinse, and place uncovered in refrigerator overnight or until dry. Fry a thin center cut slice and if to salty rinse again in cold water for 1-2 hrs, changing water every 20 minutes. A few quartered raw potatoes in the water will absorb salt quickly. Dry again and smoke to internal temp of 140.You must cook before serving.

Note: If you smoke to an internal temp of 160 you may eat uncooked. You may glaze during the smoking process with honey, mustard, or maple syrup, if desired.

Curing times:

You should figure 1 day cure time per ¼ inch from center of meat out. In other words measure the total thickness of the meat and divide by 2. Divide this result by 0.25. The result of this is the minimum number of days suggested to cure.

Looks awesome Dwain, can't wait to see the end product.

I assume your going boneless here, do you truss to keep shape or anything?

How would you normally prepare this? Is it similar to buck board bacon, closer to ham, ....?

Looks awesome Dwain, can't wait to see the end product.

I assume your going boneless here, do you truss to keep shape or anything?

How would you normally prepare this? Is it similar to buck board bacon, closer to ham, ....?

I'll tie when I smoke it. It technically is Buckboard Bacon but I believe if I slice it a little thicker it will be Canadian Bacon or ham-like.

edit: it did not need tying after all. See below.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the final product...looks interesting!! Are you going with a lower temp when smoking? What type of wood are you going to use?

I can see this turning out good!!

I can't wait to see the final product...looks interesting!! Are you going with a lower temp when smoking? What type of wood are you going to use?

I can see this turning out good!!

I'll keep the temp ~150*F. I am thinking Pecan but Apple keeps nagging at me.

edit: SWMBO said I am using Peach

So we'll compromise and I'll do it her way.

Last edited:
Great project and tips. Thanks for sharing.
I cant really understand this

Which is the difference between trimmed meat and meat. Do you mean that Morton's is based on trimmed boston butt! Instead of raw sugar is based on the untrimmed boston butt.
Is it correct?

The big thing to remember in using Morton's TQ is 15g per 500 grams meat. The TQ has Na nitrite and nitrate which is what is going to do the cure and keep you out of the ER.

Great project and tips. Thanks for sharing.
I cant really understand this

Which is the difference between trimmed meat and meat. Do you mean that Morton's is based on trimmed boston butt! Instead of raw sugar is based on the untrimmed boston butt.
Is it correct?

I used the trim weight for both ingredients.

Last edited:
So, I rinsed it off and let it dry in the fridge

001_zpsd12a34eb.jpg

did a test fry which turned out great

005_zps5cea9ad6.jpg

so I fired up the smoker and held 180*F for 4 hrs then let it climb to 200*F for the big finish to 160*F internal.

014_zps41ecba81.jpg

let it cool until this AM and sliced a few pieces.

015_zpsc28e49e6.jpg

It is a fantastic recipe. Very ham-like which is what I was shooting for.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic Dwain! That would go great in some Lima beans. I've looked by the salt in the stores near me, but haven't found any TQ, may have to order it online.

@ Tom Golden

Edit: I knew I'd seen this type of thing before: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasso-ham/

Thanks for the link Tom, I printed it out and bookmarked the site.

Last edited:
I took a cpl of SWMBO's yeast rolls and a few slices of this BBB nuked for 1.5 min along with some stone ground mustard. OMG. Great sammich!

Back