Potatoe Chips...

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Potato Chips

1. Use Russet potatoes.
2. Wash and slice evenly and very thin with a mandolin.
3. Put slices in cold water and agitate, change water and repeat until the water is clear.
4. Soak for another 20 mins.
5. Put potato slices in a solution of vinegar water, 6 C water to ½ C white vinegar.
6. Soak for 30 mins. to 2 hours. This will help make your chips crispy.
7. Dry potato slices and deep fry in 300 F oil, that’s right 300 F. ( I tend to heat the oil to 305-310 because it will tend to drop a little when potato slices are added. I don’t want the oil to drop below 300 F.) If the oil is too hot the potato slices will darken before the potato is cooked all the way through and too cold will result in fat logged potatoes.
8. Remove from oil and pat dry, sprinkle with toppings of your choice.

Note: When you first add the potato slices to the hot oil you will see lots of large bubbles. As the water is driven out of the potato slices the bubbles will get smaller and finally there will be none. The deep frying process should take 4-5 mins.

1113.JPG

TRY IT!

Dunno bro i only done these once. But made 4 batches of absolutely perfect ones. Done alot of tryes before but the resaults were all over. I soaked around 1h.

I've done small batches and they have turned out great. Soaking them too long seemed to make them LESS crisp. I dunno... BTW, you can dust them with BBQ rub for, well, BBQ chips, but if you can find it, dust with salt and VINEGAR POWDER. Awesome.

Back