Stoker WSM adapter..

Jason R

Another Stoker question aside from the firmware thing, I did my first test-run tonight making some smoked salmon. Went fairly well.

I did notice, however, that the adapter that connects the blower to my WSM (it's a newer model 18", the one with the built-in sensor grommets) seems to not meld very well. There's almost a cm on each side that just hangs off, seems a good chunk of the air from the fan would just go out there with the poor seal. I was able to hold temperature more or less but it did seem to go a little low, then take a while to stoke back up.

Is this normal, the poor seal around the WSM blower adapter? Anything I can do to seal it better for more air flow?

Jason,
Run a 22" with a Stoker. When I did the gasket thing, I added it to the blower to adapter connection as well as the adapter to WSM connection.
Used this source (they are adhesive backed, so no messy RTV)

Bob

Hi Bob - thanks for the reply. So I'm not crazy and that seal is a little pathetic?

I wonder how well gasket rope would work, might not even need to really cement it or anything, just leave ~1/4" between the bell and the WSM, then push the gasket rope in around it, then use wingnut to apply pressure to keep rope in place. Might work better with the round shape of the adapter?

I was thinking something like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002YGKGSO/tvwb-20

Hi Jason,

It's just us that are looking for a totally sealed system ;) I took it even one step farther... placed a small strip of gasket material just forward of the flapper inside the fan housing so that when the fan is off, no leakage can occur between the flapper and the fan 'ducting'. Was finding that, during windy conditions, the flapper would open just enough to upset the process. After totally sealing it up, one degree temperature control is normal.

I wonder if that rope might present an issue during installation if it were to be accidentally pushed beyond the adapter's rim. With the gasket material noted earlier, key is to slit the gasket material lengthwise creating 2 - 7/16" wide strips which easily conform to any curvature found on the WSM rims as well as the Stoker fan adapter. Since I keep the fan and adapter in place, the gasket has become almost permanent in that it would make casual removal a chore. After 2 1/2 years in service, the gaskets are ready to be replaced. Not that they are breaking down or anything, but the gasket between the dome and middle section has come 'unglued' in one section. That fit is almost an interference fit. Really tight. On my install, one must place the far end of the dome lid into it's position first then seating the near end by 'tapping' (almost hammering ;) ) the dome with the palm of your hand in order to fully seat it. During one of our cooks, my son tried installed the dome using another method which caused the adhesive backing to break loose of the WSM's rim. The adhesive backing might have already broken down, but I'm using his method as the excuse ;)

Is there actually a gap between the adapter and the WSM body? The outer rim of the adapter is not shaped to contact the body of the WSM at every point across its width (at least, mine isn't). So the outer edge of the adapter rim is not going to sit flush against the WSM, but the inner edge will. If I were trying for a really tight seal here, I'd buy a sheet of gasket material, and use the adapter as a template and cut a circular gasket to fit between it and the WSM. I think that would be easier (and cheaper) than trying to use precut, narrow strips of gasket material. You can get a sheet of pellet stove gasket material 11" x 13", 1/8 inch thick on Ebay for about $10 including shipping. That should be enough to make four gaskets.

Jason,
Run a 22" with a Stoker. When I did the gasket thing, I added it to the blower to adapter connection as well as the adapter to WSM connection.
Used this source (they are adhesive backed, so no messy RTV)

Bob

Hey Bob - how did you seal up the side-door? That's often the biggest leak in a WSM/Stoker system by far. I did the non-pretty thing and taped my doors up with aluminum tape; I don't use it during cooks.

Hi Dana,

Sorry for the late reply... just saw your post.
Didn't need to seal it up. Good and air tight with a little tweaking. But did replace it with a Cajon door late last year.

Bob

Back