Webers Potato Nails?

Gene. I have always used a metal skewer when cooking baked potatoes. Works great.
Thems are cool. I wanna set!

I've used them about 5 times.... I've never timed the difference. If they help, it's subtle. From my experience, some taters are just harder to get done than others, so I'm sure this is a factor. Maybe next time I'll use some taters out of the same bag, some with nails some without...

Years ago when I first read about putting a nail into potatoes, I thought I'd give it a try. Couldn't use galvanized or raw steel nails and stainless was hard to find in large sizes so I used a stainless steel screw that I had. About 3" long. Fired up the dill and popped it in. Did not seem to make any difference at all to cook time or consistency of doneness. All I got was, ahem, a hot screw. Now I just nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes and pop them on the grill. No more screwing around. ;)

If i'm cooking potato in under an hour - nuke em' then grill em'. Meathead website is a great source. Not sure of his 'pitmaster' club though.

Couldn't use galvanized or raw steel nails...
why not? My daddy used them back in the 60s showing me the ropes of Weber grilling.... And all but one of his six kids are still alive 50+ years talking about it....

why not? My daddy used them back in the 60s showing me the ropes of Weber grilling.... And all but one of his six kids are still alive 50+ years talking about it....

Yep and lead army men, lead paint, eating raw hamburger, bb guns, lead tinsel, running threw the fog of the mosquito fogger truck in the summer. drinking water from the creek. None of that affected me...what who's there!

Yep and lead army men, lead paint, eating raw hamburger, bb guns, lead tinsel, running threw the fog of the mosquito fogger truck in the summer. drinking water from the creek. None of that affected me...what who's there!
also played with mercury, even rubbed it into coins.
rode bikes without helmets, didn't have seat belts or car seats, no child proof lids, rode in the back of pick-ups, etc., etc.
"Who's there?"
It's me Rich!
just another old fart.:p

Did I mention that I ate a live moth once?
But I was older, and drinking, and a bet was involved.;)

Last edited:
Now for the small amounts of mercury that we played with as kids, they want to bring a hazmat team out. What a world. I still ride my bike without a helmet, but the brain bucket is just fine with me on the old BMW R90S (the first real super bike) Never use a nail in my taters.
also played with mercury, even rubbed it into coins.
rode bikes without helmets, didn't have seat belts or car seats, no child proof lids, rode in the back of pick-ups, etc., etc.
"Who's there?"
It's me Rich!
just another old fart.:p

but the brain bucket is just fine with me on the old BMW R90S
a2945774-179-cat-watermelon-helmet.jpg

Sorry Gene for this getting so far off topic, but it's been fun!

Love, love the water melon helmet!! LMAO And you know what I miss the most? Bench seat in the front of my 70's Chevy. If vinyl could talk.... :)

Wait a minute.... You guys are changing the subject here!
sticking a steel nail into a spud ain't gonna kill anyone
and wearing helmets while riding a BICYCLE in the 60s
was UNCALLED FOR unless your initial hospital visit was extended for research...

BAAAA!!! Love em all. I'm glad I asked, if anything this thread put a smile on some of our faces. You all forgot about smoking on airplanes and riding in cars without seat belts. And....riding on the back dash where the speakers were, looking out the window, these were some great times and memories. Thanks guys...I think we nailed it! BAAA!! ;)

Back