Modifying a stainless steel Weber style grill pan to fit inside the mini WSM...

Earl P (BamZipPow)

TVWBB Member
Made the plunge and picked up a Weber style grill pan fer $20 at Home Depot. I like Weber's slotted pan over the cheaper similar grill pans with holes. I made this mod to the stainless steel pan as there was a concern with using aluminum foil during my cooks. :D
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Stainless-Steel-Grill-Pan-6435/100657769
4c8fea14-3004-40a7-87e4-f891a47081b5_400.jpg

Traced the grill on the back side and it only took a few minutes with a cutting wheel to cut that sucker up. Trying out a turkey/pork meatloaf as a test. ;)

I'll have to go back and trim up the edges of the grill pan a little cleaner as I had to force it to fit into the pot. I do like how the Weber style grilling pan performed. I believe this one is a keeper! ;)

Last edited:
I don't understand the advantage over the grill grates. Help me out here Earl. Very nice mod.

Thanks
Bill
Thanks, Bill!

Meatloaf has a tendency to slip through the standard Weber grill grates and the grill pan offers more contact surface for other foods like bacon wrapped asparagus or other grilled veggies. I might have to try this grill pan setup on burgers, dogs, and what not. I'll leave it off fer my spatchcocked chicken though. :D

When I was using aluminum foil to prevent the meatloaf from oozing through the grill grate, I had to poke holes in the aluminum around the meatloaf to allow fer the juices to drain and some people had some concerns about the aluminum contacting the food. So this was the next best thing I could think of. ;)

Thanks, Bill!

Meatloaf has a tendency to slip through the standard Weber grill grates and the grill pan offers more contact surface for other foods like bacon wrapped asparagus or other grilled veggies. I might have to try this grill pan setup on burgers, dogs, and what not. I'll leave it off fer my spatchcocked chicken though. :D

When I was using aluminum foil to prevent the meatloaf from oozing through the grill grate, I had to poke holes in the aluminum around the meatloaf to allow fer the juices to drain and some people had some concerns about the aluminum contacting the food. So this was the next best thing I could think of. ;)

Earl, I've never cooked meatloaf before, but can you throw it in the fridge for a bit prior to putting it on the grill? It may help it hold it's shape better. I was having the same problem with fatties, and started doing this and it works great. They really stay their shape and don't 'run' through the grill grates.

Earl, I've never cooked meatloaf before, but can you throw it in the fridge for a bit prior to putting it on the grill? It may help it hold it's shape better. I was having the same problem with fatties, and started doing this and it works great. They really stay their shape and don't 'run' through the grill grates.

I thought about doing it that way but there are times (sometimes all the time) that I will git requests to make my smoked roasted meatloaf by other families so I don't have the time to refrigerate it prior to smoke roasting them. My ground turkey/ground pork mix seems to be the favorite around here. 75% ground turkey and 25% ground pork (3lbs ground turkey to 1lb ground pork). ;)

Teddy, don't do meatloaf on the grill or WSM unless you're prepared to never ever do it in the oven again. Lol

So I got to playing around with my adapted grill pan and found out that it also makes a great heat diffuser. Was smoke roasting a chicken on the top shelf (350°F smoker temp) and needed to put some meatballs on...so I decided to put the grill pan on the bottom rack. Internal smoker temp dropped immediately to the 240°F range (measured in the middle and top of the smoker) and continued that way through out the remainder of the cook. ;)

Back